• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plants for roof of run

redlabel

Alpha Buck
Remember seeing a fab run on here with lots of plants growing on and around the run and thinking I'd love to do that. I have nasturtiums growing around and now I'm in the mood to do something on the roof. The part I'm thinking of is a flat wooden sheltered section - and probably just herbs. I would love to see the photos again for a bit of inspiration but can't find them despite going through all the relevant stickies.
Anyone point me to the photos or have any ideas? Thanks.

Sorry I don't know the thread but didn't want to read and run. This is something I've thought about too - it would look good and feed the rabbits at the same time. Hope someone else can lead you to the pictures :wave:

Been doing a bit of research and would probably have to go with alpines because of the shallow containers so not bunny friendly. Will have another look for that thread - sure it wasn't my imagination!

Oh my idea was to just place a board across a panel of the run roof and put pots on that? My problem is that the only area where it would not be an obstruction on the run, is quite shaded so not sure anything would grow very well! When I get H&Ds run it will be in a better position and won't have the hutch on top so I do plan to do something then! Another prob is blummin snails! Last year my carrots got nowhere cos snails are them as soon as they started to sprout, this yr I've put fly screen netting over them, but then that doesn't look very attractive :lol:

I have lots of pots of herbs, flowers and grass growing on and around the bunny hutch/run. My favourite are the trays of timothy grass. Haven't let the bunnies lose on it yet. You can pick up small pots of herbs from the supermarket, re-pot into slightly larger pots. Mint always grows back better!

I have lots of pots of herbs, flowers and grass growing on and around the bunny hutch/run. My favourite are the trays of timothy grass. Haven't let the bunnies lose on it yet. You can pick up small pots of herbs from the supermarket, re-pot into slightly larger pots. Mint always grows back better!

I have also thought about growing stuff on top of run for buns. I was thinking grasses and mint as they spread if left in flowerbed. How much grass do you actually get from growing it in small trays? I think I'd spend ages growing it and they'd decimate it in about 5 minutes!!!

They sure would get through it quickly. I reakon grow about 12 pots then put one in for a bit, and rotate them and reseed as you go so they get a constant supply. I havent got round to it yet as they still have a bit growing in their runs.

Last edited:
I have also thought about growing stuff on top of run for buns. I was thinking grasses and mint as they spread if left in flowerbed. How much grass do you actually get from growing it in small trays? I think I'd spend ages growing it and they'd decimate it in about 5 minutes!!!

I planted three trays of grass seed about a month ago but I don't think its long enough to dish out. Two grammes sprinkled over each tray is enough. Much cheaper than buying timothy hay.

Next project is to make a real roof garden on the bunnies winter home - the shed. Plantain and yarrow are drought resistant, supposedly.

Back