• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Idiots guide to mesh door..

nori

Young Bun
Hi all,

My babies have been relocated outside to the shed/run combi and are loving it. The window has been meshed but because the shed hasnt been insulated it could be quite warm so i need an idiots guide to making a mesh door. The opening of the door is 70 x 29 inch.

It really must be as basic as you would give a 3 year old including names of tools, types of wood, type of nails and measurements. I also need to know how you would hang it

Much appreciated :)

I too am a bit useless at DIY, but I managed to make my own run a few weeks ago. The staff in B&Q are really helpful and they will also cut wood to size for you to save any cutting. If you measure up what you need then they will cut the wood and tell you what screws etc you need. They do make L shaped brackets that might be good to strengthen it all, but do ask them in store.

We got untreated pine (long lengths from homebase) http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=317912 (not sure if its this exact size, i can measure when i get home).

made two frames, three sections per frame ~(i dont have a pic at work tho).

make two frames identical in size (the sizes depends on your door size) - use these http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/156728 in the corners.

staple gun the mesh (welded mesh panels, we got them for about £6 each) to one of the frames, then bolt the two frames (creating a sandwich with the mesh in the middle).

We used threaded bar, cut to size with lock nuts on :)

i will take photos when i get home x

We got untreated pine (long lengths from homebase) http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=317912 (not sure if its this exact size, i can measure when i get home).

made two frames, three sections per frame ~(i dont have a pic at work tho).

make two frames identical in size (the sizes depends on your door size) - use these http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/156728 in the corners.

staple gun the mesh (welded mesh panels, we got them for about £6 each) to one of the frames, then bolt the two frames (creating a sandwich with the mesh in the middle).

We used threaded bar, cut to size with lock nuts on :)

i will take photos when i get home x

Im confused (i knew i would be). Why did you make two frames? would you not just make one frame and stable the mesh to it? Also why 3 sections per frame and where did you buy the welded mesh from? Unsure what threaded bar and lock nuts are aswell but will google.

Im confused (i knew i would be). Why did you make two frames? would you not just make one frame and stable the mesh to it? Also why 3 sections per frame and where did you buy the welded mesh from? Unsure what threaded bar and lock nuts are aswell but will google.

Please help.. we are in for some nice weather and im worried about the buns being to warm. xx

two frames sandwiched is stronger and more secure :) we did three panels, as its a full size door, and it makes it sturdier, I can't get the photos loaded, but I'll keep trying :)

threaded bar is just like a screw but has no head on it, lock nut covers the end to stop any sharp bits x

Hi Nori :wave:

Not a DIY expert but didn't want to leave without replying.

I think the two frames are so that the mesh is in between them and it will make it stiffer / stronger. It might be quite flimsy with just one frame.

If I was going to make a mesh door I think I would start by measuring the space as you have done, then buy wood and welded mesh from B&Q or another DIY store. They sell various different types of wood, your best bet would be to go and have a look and see what looks good and ask for some advice while you're there. You should be able to get them cut to the sizes you want so you can come away with all the bits you'll need for the frame. Depending on how big the door is going to be you might need to strengthen it with some bits of wood across the middle.

You'll need wood screws to fasten the frame together and you're best off drilling the holes first so you'll need a drill bit for use on wood of the right size for your screws, again probably best to ask in the shop!

As someone has said you can use a staple gun to fasten the mesh to the wood.

Hope that helps a bit...

Back