• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thoughts please - obtaining a rabbit you believe needs rescuing under false pretences

Autumn

Warren Scout
Feeling uneasy about this so wondered what your views were. Have seen rabbit advertised at £5 on selling page. A friend and I were concerned about her so my friend offered to buy her. She was then told this doe has had three litters in last 6m and this woman would rehome to her because she had an un neutered male on premises. A rescue also offered to take her in and she said no. Claiming she didn't want her being moved twice. Her messages to my friend seemed very sus and like she had something to hide. So someone else sent owner a message saying that he wanted her as present for daughters birthday and she has said we can collect tomorrow. I feel she wants this rabbit to go to someone who is clueless for a reason and is hiding something, and desperately want to get the bunny out of there. However feel very uneasy about the deceipt. What would you guys do?

I would continue with the lie and get the bunny. Then I would get the bunny checked over at the vets and if there were any issues then I would report the owner to the RSPCA.

I would continue with the lie and get the bunny. Then I would get the bunny checked over at the vets and if there were any issues then I would report the owner to the RSPCA.

This is my plan as my gut feeling is that she has something to hide. She was offered a wonderful home as part of a large bonded group with heaps of space and she turned it down preferring to sell to any old person as a kids toy. :-(

Just feel very uneasy about being dishonest!

I have found with some of these breeders they just don't want them neutered. I don't know why but as soon as you mention that and a friend they back out. It's odd!

she is being dishonest for the wrong reasons, and you are being dishonest for the right reasons. i think it's fine! :thumb:

I would do it. You'll never see her again and it'll make no odds to her, but it will change the little rabbit's life.

Just make sure you have the financial, practical and emotional capabilities to 100% look after bun in the event the breeder is hiding something fairly major...

Just make sure you have the financial, practical and emotional capabilities to 100% look after bun in the event the breeder is hiding something fairly major...

This. Do think about what you are taking on, it wouldn't be good if the rabbit just ended up in rescue with the rescue footing the vet bills.

Hope the bun is ok and the woman is just a nut. At least if you carry on with the fib and collect the bunny, you will have the woman's name and address so the RSPCA can get involved if necessary. If it's bad maybe you can get some sneaky pics?

Some people just dont want to have someone come round who 'know about rabbits' in case they get given a lecture . . they prefer people to just come and say aaahh and ooohhh and thank you . . .

Also never mention neutering (or a decent pellet diet - or hay) if trying to 'rescue' an animal - many people think its 'unnatural' to neuter and cruel to restrict them from the sweeties they feed them - and will not hand over animal once you mention that.

I would lie and get rabbit - chances are that she may not even know enough to know if there was something wrong with it.

as long as u can handle any potential cost i say go for it. has she let ur friend look at/handle the bun? cos if she wont let u c him/his accomodation or if anything appears seriously wrong mite be best to go straight to the RSPCA as they can do a lot more to her legally speaking if they catch her red handed up to no good. i guess it wud be much harder to prove it was her if uve already got the bun and u need to call them later.
good luck and give us updates!!! xxxx

Put it this way. Doe has had three litters in last 6m and she lets all in neutered unbonded males put for 'playtime' every other day. Never seen such stressed out bunnies in my life

Back