• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Grooming and Matts

fizabella

Alpha Buck
How can I groom Maia under the chin and on her chest? I've noticed that when she drinks her water, it gets into her fur there and it starts going curly. It's not matted because I've been able to just get the kinks out with my fingers but how can I prevent her fur there from becoming matted without hurting her? She doesn't seem to like me touching her there and even when I try to, she just thinks I'm offering my hand for licks :lol:

Gosh I've just been doing the same to my long haired cashmere lop - I found a matt under her chin - what I did was groom her normally and just reach further and further around and underneath and it seems to have gone - the other thing is to have 2 people - 1 to hold and 1 to comb (ultra quick!) if she doesn't like it! same goes for grooming rear ends - just comb a bit further each time - bit by bit - and hopefully you will reach those bits. If the matts are quite bad and you can't do it - get someone to hold her and snip them out carefully taking care not to snip any skin x Good luck and let me know how you get on ;)

Thanks for this, very helpful - she wiggled a bit and didn't seem to like it but we just put her down for a little while so she could calm down before picking her up and starting again :lol:

We have to do the same with Biffy, my boyfriend holds him and then I usually do a full brush and groom of him to get it over and done with, as he won't let me groom him if he's sat down.
We usually stop and give him the odd treat and he takes to it a lot better then :wave:

We have to do the same with Biffy, my boyfriend holds him and then I usually do a full brush and groom of him to get it over and done with, as he won't let me groom him if he's sat down.
We usually stop and give him the odd treat and he takes to it a lot better then :wave:

If only they understood that it was all for their own good :lol:

Back