• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed for Blossom

BerryJane

Alpha Buck
Hi. I hope someone can give me any advice.

Blossom is acting odd at times then perfectly normal at others.

On Friday am I put him and Bramble in the outside run ( they are indoor bunnies - never in a hutch). They dont partciularly like this but today it seemed to really bother Blossom who just lay there breathing very quickly. Bramble was licking his eye and even though we were all out with him after about 15 mins I took them back indoors as he was clearly stressing. For the rest of the day he was quiet - sulking I thought.
Round about teatime I noticed he was still quiet and a bit hunched and tooth grindy so I separated them, cleaned his litter tray out and observed him eating and toileting for the next hour. He did eat a bit and used his litter tray - a bit smaller than normal droppings but nothing too worrying.
Around about 8 I let Bramble back out and left them to it. Not long after he was fine - running in and out of upstairs rooms, chin rubbing and come bedtime ran into the kitchen as normal and seemed fine.

yesterday am he seemed ok but soon the same thing happened as the day before (without the outisde run) he was quiet and not himself but did eat and used his litter tray ok too. Again around 8 / 9 - sprang into life and seemed normal.

Today I have watched him a bit this morning and he seemed fine - trying to get into rooms he shouldnt so not too worried. Just gone downstairs and he is hunched and seems to be struggling to settle again. He has just eaten some carrot and hay and again I have separated him and Bramble and changed his litter tray and after only 10 mins he has used it ok.

I have given him no medication at all or syringe fed him so every time he 'sorts himself out' he has done it himself.

I dont want to do anything to stress him out but it all seems a bit strange and niggling at me a bit.
I have got ot speak to the vet tomorrow regarding Berrys legs anyway so will prob mention it if I can but just wondered if any of you fab expereinced rabbit people have any advice.

Sorry for the long post but I thought I would put as much info as I could.
He is 2 and never been unwell really before. As I have typed this my son said he has been eating some pellets and in his litter tray and seems to be moving ok!:roll:

Thanks in advance.
Jane xx

He is def not right - do you think it would be ok to give him metacam - just incase he is in pain. he ahs used his litter tray in th elast hour and all looks ok but he is not happy. I dont want to keep him separated from Bramble for too long as that will stress him but while they are together i dont know which one of them is eating and using tray. :(

Thanks xx

It sounds as though he may have a urinary tract problem rather than a gi tract one

You dont mention his water consumption and urine output ??

We cant advise you to give Metacam, it is a prescription only medication so only a Vet can do that.

He has done a wee in his litter tray in the last hour. They are not massive drinkers and have not seen him drink - but that is not too unusual.

I lost Tillie to bladder sludge - she had massive operation and survied another year of me constantly syringing fluids into her. Maybe I may do that for Blossom tonight.

I understand about the metacam. I have some for Berry and just wondered about giving him some to ease any discomfort - but I know its not really advisable.

What ar eth enormal symptoms for Urinary tract problem. Tillies problem was picked up during a routine check up. After I did notice the hopping in and out of the litter tray and straining. I am wondering now If Bloss has been doing this - not that I notice but you get a bit paranoid after a while dont you??

even if he picks up tonight - I will take him tomorrow. Just feel stressed and anxious now though!

Thanks for your advice. It seems strange seeing your name - I always think its me as I am Jane and have a son Jack!! xx

He has done a wee in his litter tray in the last hour. They are not massive drinkers and have not seen him drink - but that is not too unusual.

I lost Tillie to bladder sludge - she had massive operation and survied another year of me constantly syringing fluids into her. Maybe I may do that for Blossom tonight.

I understand about the metacam. I have some for Berry and just wondered about giving him some to ease any discomfort - but I know its not really advisable.

What ar eth enormal symptoms for Urinary tract problem. Tillies problem was picked up during a routine check up. After I did notice the hopping in and out of the litter tray and straining. I am wondering now If Bloss has been doing this - not that I notice but you get a bit paranoid after a while dont you??

even if he picks up tonight - I will take him tomorrow. Just feel stressed and anxious now though!

Thanks for your advice. It seems strange seeing your name - I always think its me as I am Jane and have a son Jack!! xx

I would give your Vets out-of-hours service a call and ask if it is OK to give him some Metacam tonight. If you call your normal surgery number there should be a recorded message with contact details of their out-of-hours service.

Thanks. I did and they said best not to.

I dont know what to do for the best. its a trek to our out of hours and I know it would stress him and I dont think he is an emergency but i just want to do what i can for him. :cry:

Thanks for replying to me xx

I don't know if this is a possibility, but is it maybe something he is eating at a certain part of the day, that is upsetting his stomach, that is causing the odd behavior?

Thanks Jbun. I not sure - I cant think of any changes particularly to their diet - but being house they do chew things they shouldnt!!

I have just done the ultimate test and opened the door to a 'forbidden room'! it didnt take him long to run in and explore. Bramble is back with him now, so it is harder to monitor toilet habits but he has done several more droppings which look fine. But no more wee. Its so hard as when they are well you change the litter tray daily and know it needs changing but i dont check hour by hour. :roll:

As he is not just lying around we are not taking him to the emergency vets but whatever he is like tomorrow we will take him to our normal vets - a 2 minute drive - just to make sure.

I will continue to monitor him until bed and then probably during the night.

Thanks for the relpies - this fourm is fab - just to be able to come on a 'aarrgghh' is a blessing. :love:

Back