• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Enlarged and cloudy eye.

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Fozzie has had cataracts for a good few years and i think had limited eye sight before they were visible too. Noticed a few weeks ago that one eye was more cloudy, ie not just on the lens but all over and the whites of her eye was 'bloodshot'.
But today this eye is visibly larger than her other eye - not larger as in sticking out, but just larger all over.
I'm a bit worried as she is almost 10 years old and just wants a quiet life now! Anyone have any idea what this can be? Can bunnies get glaucoma or anything like that?

Thanks RU

Yes it could well be that he now has Glaucoma. If so without treatment he will be in a significant amount of pain so he needs to be seen by a Vet ASAP.

I have a bun with glaucoma, she was diagnosed at 7 months old. It does sound like how Lavender started off - came on really quick, enlarged eye and a blue cloudy tinge. My vet put her on Trusopt (human drops) and she has Viscotears that can be bought in a pharmacy OTC as the eye can get dry/sore if it is enlarged and more prone to ulcers.

The vet has diagnosed glaucoma today. Said the pressure was very high :(

So we have two lots of eye drops and metacam and a check up on Friday to see how things are going. She said if we can't control it with the drops, then may have to remove the eye. Fozzie is 10 years old, I'm not sure how I'd feel about that...

Hope the drops work.. they do tend to work quite quickly. With my bun one of her eyes didn't respond to drops and just got worse and worse so they removed that eye. She was immediately happier because the eye had been hurting her despite metacam and tbh you would never think she only had one eye from watching her navigate her hutch and run. Best of luck :)

The drops haven't worked :-( the pressure has dropped only slightly so really need to consider taking her eye out.

Vet says there's risks of further damage to the eye and infections, as she can't close the eye fully with it being so swollen. But she seems comfortable at the moment and is actually really perky! More so than recently (even though she hasn't seemed 'down').

So we have a busy couple of months coming up, so if we are to remove the eye then it's best to do it sooner than later, so we can give her the time she needs to recover. The vet is happy to do the op, but I'm really nervous for her. She won't miss the vision as I believe she has been blind or at least partially sighted most of her life. Its more my problem, she was my first bunny and she's very precious...

Hugs. I remember this well and I'm sorry i haven't seen this post before.

Mr Fluff developed glaucoma when he was 13 and I was not keen on surgery because of his age and how stressed the vets made him. Vet was supportive of this and we tried two types of drops..
apparently there are two types of drops which work or don't depending on how the glaucoma affects the eye. From memory i think one was broad spectrum but the other highly effective for a specific type... I can't remember which way trusopt works. Trusopt worked for us but we tried the other first. I can't remember the name but will try... May be worth a chat with your vet anyway xx

Back