• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We skipped spring and went straight to summer...

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
The heat has been oppressive for at least the last week or so. Temps in the 80's Fahrenheit and humidity down below 15%. So dry my hair is breaking and flying away, my hands and lips are cracked and bleeding, and I wake up feeling utterly dehydrated no matter how much water I drink.
Even in winter we don't get this dried out. I am just thankful so far no fires have started.
I feel for my poor bunnies. I'm keeping them as cool as possible but since we were still dealing with snow only two weeks ago and now suddenly this it is really uncomfortable for them.

We were forecast rain for today but it didn't show. Hoping for slightly cooler temps in the next few days. Ironic since our spring was covered in ice and snow and definitely made for a miserable time.

I've never seen such bizarre weather here. Actually everywhere here in the US it has been not only bizarre but dangerous. All the folks in Oklahoma who've been dealing with the killer tornadoes... :cry:
How is the weather where you are? And how do you get your bunnies through it?

My poor Stu doesn't know what coat to wear:roll: its been 19 - 20 degrees C( 52 - 68 F) for 4 - 5 days then chucked it down with rain for 4 - 5 days and down to 7 - 8 degrees C (44 ish F) now the sun is out again says its going to be 19 - 20 for the next week or so, poor bun is moulting and growing new coat every week, inside of the hutch and run looks like a white fury blanket has been shredded into fluff :lol:

Here it's 3:44am, 92% humidity and 72 degrees :)

My family hates the humidity and thinks it's hot in the house (it's probably a few degrees warmer in some rooms of the house than outdoors right now, the AC isn't working well) but I think it feels totally comfortable! I'm definitely warm blooded. June is probably my favorite month, I love everything about it, especially the heat and humidity :love: When I walked outside yesterday it felt like June and I was like oh yeah it's June 1st. It was such a wonderful feeling that's hard to describe.

The weather has been completely inconsistent here. From being 18 degrees C one day to 40mph winds and 4 degrees C the next. Just over a week ago there was snow on the hills and we had hail, heavy rain and strong winds, the next day glorious sunshine.
The grass is starting to shoot up, but is so lush were a bit scared to move animals onto it. The condition called grass sickness, which kills many horses, is usually prevalent in April/ May but the vets say we will probably see cases in June instead. Lots of pneumonia about in livestock too, because of the weather, I think a lot of animals are run down due to the long winter and changeable conditions.

My poor Stu doesn't know what coat to wear:roll: its been 19 - 20 degrees C( 52 - 68 F) for 4 - 5 days then chucked it down with rain for 4 - 5 days and down to 7 - 8 degrees C (44 ish F) now the sun is out again says its going to be 19 - 20 for the next week or so, poor bun is moulting and growing new coat every week, inside of the hutch and run looks like a white fury blanket has been shredded into fluff :lol:

Same here down south, although its been only dropping to about 10-12ish. The buns start a new moult every time the weather changes :roll: Annabella's coat goes brown in the summer but she's only got a couple of patches so far :?

Wow, less than 15% humidity must be awful! When the central heating was on full pelt in the middle of winter the humidity in the house was about 30% and my skin and hair were so dry!

Yes, I've been aware of weird weather in the USA particularly last year, the loss of wheat, corn, & cattle for lack of feed. I didn't know it was affecting Alaska though.

We've been getting weird weather in the South West for some years too.
This year has been totally crazy & unseasonal. 11C with a biting wind & sleet, a couple of days ago & 22 C today.
When it does rain it's often torrential, such as we've rarely seen until the last 10 years. It's useless for the ground cos it just runs off the surface.
This year the autumn sowing of winter wheat was all washed to the bottom of fields by torrential rains & they had to resow the fields later.
Wild plants have been slow to appear & growth fluctuates possibly because of reduce light when it's cloudy.

Benjie has been in continuous moult since Sept. No sooner does it reach the back end than it starts again at the front end despite all my efforts to keep temps in his main room between 15-22C.

Back