• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wood in tooth

RavenMoon

Mama Doe
Just wondering if anyone has encountered this, thought of better ways to deal with it or whether I actually could have left Cloud to himself and he would have eventually sorted it.

He was gnawing on the wooden base of one of their toys (as he usually does) but suddenly pulled up and started pawing at his face. Scooped him up and used a large recovery food syringe to check his mouth, because I was concerned there was something large stuck in there affecting his breathing or something (although there were no large chunks missing, but panic had set in), and noticed he had a fairly thick splinter of wood stuck between his bottom teeth. Managed to free it by combining fingers and syringe, none of which he was pleased with, although I managed to avoid getting thumped at. Once he was set back down he set about cleaning himself as normal (humans are filthy apparently) and there was no more pawing at his face.

It hasn't happened before in the time we've had them, I'm mainly wondering whether he would have been able to sort it himself, so that I know whether or not its best to remove it manually (given how much he hates being handled).

Haven't experienced this myself but didn't want to read & run without saying I'd have done the same

Thanks, good to know that I'm not completely bonkers wrestling wood out of his tooth. Can't have been comfy with how thick it was, and I suppose it could have cut him too :? Not that it'll stop him eating the wood....

We've moved the base so that its covered so they can't chew it :) Previously had no reason to cover it so hadn't bothered.

Back