• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are petplan likely to cover stasis after one episode?

jackandsally

Warren Scout
Hi all, Rosie has been in the vets over night for a sudden bout of stasis. I was thinking of taking insurance out for them both, Dillon hasn't had stasis or any other illness luckily and I assume will be easy to cover. Rosie has never had stasis in the last 2 years since we adopted her or any other illness, she's had no issues at all and the vets will be able to confirm this I'm assuming, will petplan flat out not cover her for any stasis episodes now or can they look at her veterinary records and see that it hasn't been a recurring problem and just a one off at this point? Just wondering if anyone has any similar experience with this kind of situation. I'll probably give them a call and ask as I'd rather know before trying to insure them.

I imagine it will be an exclusion if she has recently had stasis. But sometimes they lift the exclusion after a certain time-frame.

No, any illness they have before you insure them will not be covered unfortunately, it doesn't matter if it's only once :(

I imagine it will be an exclusion if she has recently had stasis. But sometimes they lift the exclusion after a certain time-frame.

This. They (Pet Plan) did tell me they would consider lifting the exclusion for Rudy who had regular stasis episodes after an unspecified time without, but when I asked again they denied that being the case and said it will always be an exclusion.

However, stasis is a symptom and not a condition; if a bunny who has an exclusion for stasis where no underlying cause has been found I'm told that you would stand a fighting chance of being covered for something such as a blockage as it can't be deemed the same condition.

Though it's unlikely any further stasis episodes are likely to be covered as this is the first episode in 2 years then I'd still insure and *hopefully* it will be a one-off or at least not a regular occurence. If no cause can be found on this occasion and she goes on to be found to have a medical condition then it can't be linked to the stasis episode if it wasn't known about during this episode. It's still well worth insuring.

Thanks, that's a very good point about any future issues due to a blockage for example since this has been an unknown cause as she's pulled around really well, I'm definitely going to insure Dilly with petplan and I'm going to call them up and ask regarding the stasis with Rosie, I suppose it's worth a shot in case they do offer a time frame for her to not have it recur and if not at least other things are covered.

Back