• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear mites!,! - Update..

Fee

Wise Old Thumper
Hello

I had been told that to try to clean a lops ears of wax, you can use olive oil..

How do you apply the olive oil? Cotton wool or cloth and how long do you leave it so soften ear wax

Smudge has bits of wax, not low down in the ear canal but higher up towards the middle of his ear, visible if you lift his little ear up... its Little bits of brown..

advice please, or is it a trip to the vets?

Fee

Last edited:
Personally I am loathe to advise putting anything into the ear canal without first ensuring the ear canals have been examined using an otoscope. These day I am totally paranoid about Rabbit ear issues :oops:

Thanks Jane... i need to take Willow to vets in a fortnight for vaccination so will take Smudge along to get him checked out too.... I am frightened to do anything without being absolutely sure its Okay...

Thanks anyway

Fee xxx

Have actually looked again today and think its ear mites... He scratched a bit of brown off and I suspect its a wee tiny scab that he has scratched off... Will phone vets tomorrow for advice....

Fee xxx

Need advice....

Have been to vets and poor wee Smudge has mites, both buns have been treated and I have been given canaural for his ears.. Should Smudge go nuts after these ear drops have been put in?

He has been running around, shaking his ears and scratching after drops were applied..? is it likely to be sore and will I have to watch out for him not eating and stasis??

willow is also now fascinated by his ears..... Will this stuff harm her, if she manages to lick any of it....?

HELP!,!

Back