• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jaw Abscess in older bunnies

coco1200

Warren Veteran
Hi all, not too sure if I've put this in the right section but I really could do with some advise/help

Noisette developed a jaw abscess on Tuesday which was quite small to begin with. The vet looked inside her mouth and said she has misaligned molars (which I knew previously about for years but vet was not going to operate because she was high risk under GA) but have got better thanks to grass eating, but this is probably the cause of it.

The vet initially put her on Baytril and Metacam to see if she would respond to oral abxs as again, she was reluctant to operate because of her age and her previous history, and she said she has successfully treated jaw abscesses with this method before. Noisette has not responded to it and it's gotten a lot larger since yesterday. She is still eating surprisingly, but she is finding it very difficult to put anything in her mouth and picking it up, but is eating when she's hand fed! I can only think this is a good sign though.

I just wanted to know if anyone has experience in treating jaw abscesses in older bunnies? I'm incredibly worried about her because of all the risk associated with her going under anaesthetic - a giant rabbit, going to be 8 years old this year and her previous history with stress of seeing the vet and going into statis.

She is going to the vets today and is seeing an experienced bunny vet and I am sure she is going to recommend surgery. I am going out of my mind because I'm at uni and she's back at home so I can't even see her to see if she's okay! I'm getting picked up tomorrow morning, but she is in good hands with my dad as he has said he is willing to do whatever we can to get her better.

:cry:

Gus is 7 1/2 and has a jaw abcess and tooth removed about a month ago, it went really smoothly and is healing well. He is on penicillin I think that is needed rathe than baytril perhaps

Back