• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Combi vaccination

Autumn

Warren Scout
Can this be administered at any time of year?

I don't currently vaccinate. Please don't shoot me down in flames. I have in the past vaccinated two rescue buns and they both died within 48hrs so I am terrified to do it again, especially as 9 of my 10 buns are inbred accidental litters or runts that weren't ever expected to survive :-()

I now have 10 rabbits and despite how terrified I am of vaccinating I was hoping I may be able to do one a month. Once any of them had been done once I'd feel happy to get them done for the rest of their lives just very scared that ill lose one again :-(

Willow got the combi in August and Smudge got his combi in February, so I guess the answer is . Yes!?

All the best

Fee x

Willow got the combi in August and Smudge got his combi in February, so I guess the answer is . Yes!?

All the best

Fee x

Thank you for replying. I was very worried about posting this as thought I'd be shot down in flames as a rubbish bunny mummy :-(

Any time is fine. The combi protects from both myxi and vhd and should also give a better protection against myxi than the single one.

Did you have a post mortem done to determine what the rabbits died from? It is extremely unusual for a rabbit to die from vaccination - do you know which vaccine it was and which brand? Some rabbits had extreme reactions to the Cylap vhd vaccine but it didn't usually result in death... gut slowdown/stasis was a possibility though I think, which if you didn't notice/take action or didn't have a rabbit-savvy vet then that can kill rabbits - did they go off their food?

Any time is fine. The combi protects from both myxi and vhd and should also give a better protection against myxi than the single one.

Did you have a post mortem done to determine what the rabbits died from? It is extremely unusual for a rabbit to die from vaccination - do you know which vaccine it was and which brand? Some rabbits had extreme reactions to the Cylap vhd vaccine but it didn't usually result in death... gut slowdown/stasis was a possibility though I think, which if you didn't notice/take action or didn't have a rabbit-savvy vet then that can kill rabbits - did they go off their food?

I didn't get postmortem a done as I was so broke at the time, ANSI. The 4 months before vaccinating I had spent over £600 I didn't have in getting the boys 'healthy' :-(

They didn't show any signs of being unwell afterwards but got then vaccinated on the Tuesday and on Thursday woke up to find them both dead. I was devastated.

Yes you can have it done any time.

As a reassurance, even my less healthy bunny was fine when he had his vaccinations done, though I can understand your reservations. :wave:

I didn't get postmortem a done as I was so broke at the time, ANSI. The 4 months before vaccinating I had spent over £600 I didn't have in getting the boys 'healthy' :-(

They didn't show any signs of being unwell afterwards but got then vaccinated on the Tuesday and on Thursday woke up to find them both dead. I was devastated.

Did they show a reduction in appetite and are any of your other rabbits related to them?
Have you discussed their deaths and vaccinating the rest of your rabbits with a rabbit-savvy vet?

If it helps, my bunny Barney has chronic snuffles and gut problems and is thin due to not being able to keep weight on well. He has always been vaccinated and I have had no problems. When he was at his worse (almost no bodyfat and dangerously thin with a serious gut problem) the vet advised to wait a month before vaccinating as he was dealing with so much else at the time (his previous vaccine would protect him somewhat still) but after he was a little healthier she deemed him fine and he was vaccinated as usual with no problems.

I would recommend you talk to a rabbit-savvy vet about vaccinating, as I would recommend it fairly promptly, as the flying insects are already out and a wet summer (which is what it looks like being) will only increase their numbers.

Do you know if it was Cylap they had? My darling boys had a really nasty reaction to that once. As far as I know Lapinject and the combi vaccine are fine.

Back