• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

guinea pigs and rabbits

hoppy bunny

Warren Scout
My friend has asked me if when she goes on holiday ( in august ) I can look after her guinea pigs and her rabbit! She'll have 4 piggies and a bunny so she's not allowed to board all of them. I've heard that rabbits carry a disease that guinea pigs can contract recently, how can I prevent that? I'm probably going to refuse the rabbit, it's too much and she'll stress out Vienna. A herd of guinea pigs, with two long haired girls, is enough for two weeks:lol:. Hopefully they'll go in the wendy house after I clean it out and replace a window with mesh.

It is a bacteria called bordetella. It can be symptom-less in rabbits or can cause 'snuffles', but it is deadly in guinea pigs.

Making sure they are not in the same airspace and making sure you go to the piggies first and then the rabbits, as well as washing your hands and changing clothes as necessary should be enough to stop it, but I couldn't say for sure. Many people keep rabbits and guinea pigs near each other without problems, not all rabbits carry bordetella, but obviously with someone elses pets you want to be super careful.

Basically, I would explain the risks to your friend and let her decide.

I'm mostly worried now because I've done lots of research up till now and I'm pretty sure her bun is a carrier. Two of her guinea pigs died recently and they had exactly the same symptoms :cry: ( I was there at the vets etc ) I don't want to tell her, even though I know I have to because Flossie doesn't get the best care ( she has a nice big run with toys, but no actual hutch and the run is accessible by predators ) I don't want her to be hated. Help please! ( thank you for the info, very much appreciated )

I'm mostly worried now because I've done lots of research up till now and I'm pretty sure her bun is a carrier. Two of her guinea pigs died recently and they had exactly the same symptoms :cry: ( I was there at the vets etc ) I don't want to tell her, even though I know I have to because Flossie doesn't get the best care ( she has a nice big run with toys, but no actual hutch and the run is accessible by predators ) I don't want her to be hated. Help please! ( thank you for the info, very much appreciated )

She could get her bunny tested for it at the vets by swabbing and then growing the bacteria, but it isn't guaranteed that something will grow even if she does have it. I think you may need to have a word with her about the rabbit's housing, as rabbits should have an all-weather area to shelter from the elements.

I have, but her mum is very very reluctant :(. My friend doesn't really seem that interested in floss anyway ( she was a present from her dad :?)

Back