• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tips for giving antibiotics.. U/D: a question

Azucena

Alpha Buck
I tried syringing but it's so hard.. He won't say still!

Then put tiny bits at a time on pellets but he notices when I've put too much on and won't eat it!

Is there anything else I can try? :wave:

Last edited:
You can mix with banana or onto bread. I have Nutmeg on baytril at the moment but it's 1ml which is hard to hide in food unless you use a lot of it! So i'm syringing it into her instead, what I do is I kneel on the floor with her between my knees and then pin her with my left hand to my right knee and use the other hand to syringe it in the side of her mouth. She can't move away very easily like this although I do stop halfway through to let her swallow it properly.

You can mix with banana or onto bread. I have Nutmeg on baytril at the moment but it's 1ml which is hard to hide in food unless you use a lot of it! So i'm syringing it into her instead, what I do is I kneel on the floor with her between my knees and then pin her with my left hand to my right knee and use the other hand to syringe it in the side of her mouth. She can't move away very easily like this although I do stop halfway through to let her swallow it properly.

Thanks! I'll try it in banana or bread tonight. :)

I always worry with syringing that he'll either jumped forwards or backwards at the last minute and it'll end up on the floor!

Thanks! I'll try it in banana or bread tonight. :)

I always worry with syringing that he'll either jumped forwards or backwards at the last minute and it'll end up on the floor!

There is a little gap in the teeth at the sides, behind the front or incisor teeth, thats where to put the syringe, it's much easier than trying to get their mouth open! Once you have it in there gentley push the plunger, they're unlikely to move far once you've got them in that position. Just do a little, let them swallow, then a little more, etc.

Food is easier if you're giving a small amount. Nutmeg manages to sniff it out and eat round it :roll:

There is a little gap in the teeth at the sides, behind the front or incisor teeth, thats where to put the syringe, it's much easier than trying to get their mouth open! Once you have it in there gentley push the plunger, they're unlikely to move far once you've got them in that position. Just do a little, let them swallow, then a little more, etc.

Food is easier if you're giving a small amount. Nutmeg manages to sniff it out and eat round it :roll:

Ahh ok thanks! He gets 0.5ml so I might alternate between syringe and food.. If nothing else hopefully if I give it on food I won't be faced with such a huffy rabbit afterwards. :lol:

Is it baytril?

That stuff tastes vile! I can syringe anything that tastes nice to my rabbits but if it's baytril they go crazy and will do anything other than have it in their mouth. It's the safest antibiotic though, I just wish they'd make it taste nicer.

Try anything that has a strong taste. Some people mix a bit of Ribena with it before they syringe it.

Is it baytril?

That stuff tastes vile! I can syringe anything that tastes nice to my rabbits but if it's baytril they go crazy and will do anything other than have it in their mouth. It's the safest antibiotic though, I just wish they'd make it taste nicer.

Try anything that has a strong taste. Some people mix a bit of Ribena with it before they syringe it.

Yep it's baytril.. Humphrey hates it!
Ok thanks! I'll get some Ribena to try too. :)

Another vote for banana here :thumb: I use a chunk of banana and use the end of the syringe to make small holes in it then fill those holes with the baytril. Mine wolf it down before they realise there is anything in it:thumb:

Both my girls are on an antibiotic to prevent them from suffering from paristies that gets pasted down from mother to kitten and I have to syringe it into them for 28 days they get 2.5ml a day each and what I do is I gather there front paws and hold them whilst holding their neck and I syringe with the other hand although I do get a lot of scratches but this is how the vet told me to hold my buns so yeh

Couldn't find any Ribena but the banana trick worked really well! :thumb:

Although he's done a bit of a mushy cecal.. So not sure whether that's the antibiotics, the banana, or the fact he's had a bit too many pellets today.

Aaah so much choice. :lol:
Fibreplex, Protexin Pro Fibre, Avipro plus, Pro C.. Is there one you'd recommend?

Aaah so much choice. :lol:
Fibreplex, Protexin Pro Fibre, Avipro plus, Pro C.. Is there one you'd recommend?

Fibreplex is dead easy to give, the buns usually take it right out the syringe. The Pro Fibre Pellets are quite popular too tho although a big tub, but would last you a while. Never used Avipro and the Pro C can be a hit or a miss imo, sometimes my bunnies just wouldnt eat food with it on it, although my Inca would lap almost the full amount out the bowl when diluted with water.

Another thing you could try; which is what I do... Mix the meds with Ella's garden baby food (it's 100% organic puree) and then they'll usually happily take it from the syringe, you can get it from Tesco, Azda and probably other super markets. Just make sure you pick a fruit that they can have- I usually get apple, banana, occasionally pear ect :thumb:

Doughnut has to have three medicines a day and I can't syringe feed her so a tiny bit of weetabix. It soaks up the meds and she loves it, she begs as she thinks it's a treat. Also no soft poops.

Back