• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outside in the day inside at night?

nori

Young Bun
My rabbits love being outside in the day so im going to attach their run to the shed so they have cover if needed (and to increase the space). I dont feel like i want them to be fully outside though (especially in the winter when i doubt i will go out much). Is it ok to do half and half as i was told it can cause breathing problems etc if you change temperature?

I'm confused, are they house rabbits at night and then you put them in the shed during the day? If so this is fine now but when the weather gets colder the temperature difference won't be good for them.

Or are they in the shed at night and the run in the day? In which case this is fine all year round as long as the shed is not heated.

Need advice.. Should i bring the bunnies in?

Yes they are both house bunnies and have their own room. I tend to always leave the window ajar and no heating in that room. I put them out in just a run in the day if its nice but always bring them in. Today a friend has attached the run to the shed with a runaround tube. They are out there now and loving it. Ive meshed the window but there is no insulation. Would they be ok left out for the night or is it too cold as they are house buns?

Yes they are both house bunnies and have their own room. I tend to always leave the window ajar and no heating in that room. I put them out in just a run in the day if its nice but always bring them in. Today a friend has attached the run to the shed with a runaround tube. They are out there now and loving it. Ive meshed the window but there is no insulation. Would they be ok left out for the night or is it too cold as they are house buns?

It depends if you plan on keeping them out there for good now. Keeping them out for good would be fine. I wouldn't leave them out overnight and then bring them back in the next day, not because of a temperature issue but because it is stressful for a rabbit to have it's territory constantly changed, so it would be best to stick to a routine. It is warm enough at this time of year if you did want to continue having them out in the day and bringing them in at night, or vice versa, though. It is when it gets colder that it will be bad to do it, when the temps inside and out differ a lot. When it comes to about September/October, you'll have to make a decision about whether you want them inside or out.

yes thats what i thought. They know the routine of run in day and in at night and it doesnt seem to bother them but i can see what you are saying. The shed is work in process as we still need to board it all up and insulate it. Once this has happened i may keep them outside with shed and run. I was just slightly impatient and wanted to see what they though of it. they seem happy, eating, grooming etc.. Maybe i will keep them out tonight. I just dont want them getting scared :?

Also, what do people do about the meshed window. I have the perspex to put back in if needed. Should i do this at night or just leave it?

Back