• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

She's home now-Rabbit at vets suspected stasis what should I be asking on the phone?

jackandsally

Warren Scout
Hi all, not been on here for a while. Apologies this is a bit of a rant. My rescue girly was not herself this lunchtime took a really sudden change and couldn't get comfortable and wouldn't eat. She's at the vets now, they're keeping her over night. I'm foaming the way they have handled the whole thing, not keeping us updated, and don't seem to be doing anything at all she's been in since early this afternoon and we wanted to know if she was being kept in so we could take her husbun to be with her. We've had to ring and the drippy vet nurse said they're syringe feeding her and giving her some grass which she's not touching, then tomorrow they will see what to do. She's not pooed or eaten at all apparently. This is meant to be a good veterinary practice for rabbits, I won't use them again after this though. Just wondering what are the typical questions I should ask on the phone when I ring before I try and get some sleep? Should I ask what pain meds she's on, should she be on IV fluids? Anything else I should ask? I'm really hoping she picks up through the night, but worrying she doesn't stand a chance if they're not helping her properly. I'm really annoyed at myself for her being there because I can't help her.

Last edited:
Have they checked for a blockage? If no blockage then pain relief (meloxicam) gut stimulant (metaclopramide) and acid blocker (ranitidine) would be the usual drill and subcutaneous fluids if not drinking.

If no blockage they should be trying to find the cause so x-ray painrelief metacam possibly vetergesic of very painful, and both iv bolus fluids as well as subcutaneus and syringe feeding.
Sending hugs and vibes

They're not xraying until tomorrow if she's no better to check for any blockages don't see why they can't do this asap. They had just said that they don't think there is one because the first vet said he couldn't feel anything. Should I say I'm concerned they've not ruled out a blockage and are force feeding her?

If no blockage they should be trying to find the cause so x-ray painrelief metacam possibly vetergesic of very painful, and both iv bolus fluids as well as subcutaneus and syringe feeding.
Sending hugs and vibes

Should I insist we want an xray done asap? I'm so annoyed they haven't already, it's been over 6 hours and they've not done any investigation into what the cause is.

They're not xraying until tomorrow if she's no better to check for any blockages don't see why they can't do this asap. They had just said that they don't think there is one because the first vet said he couldn't feel anything. Should I say I'm concerned they've not ruled out a blockage and are force feeding her?

I would ask for xrays this evening as feeling is not always reliable the blockage can be at the very entrance to the intestine at the narrow part of the stomach which is sometimes under the rib cage an xray can be obtained conscious and will help to plan treatment. If there is a true blockage which are rare then syringe feeding and gut stimulants can make things worse.
Blood glucose levels are also a good indicator of how things are progessing

Thank you, I'm going to ask to speak to a vet, it was a kennel nurse who we spoke to and she didn't have a clue don't see why they should put it off when she was clearly no better at 8 when we rang. Got to ring in twenty minutes after change over. I just have a bad feeling about it all and she was so bright and her usual binkying self last night and this morning, it has really knocked me for six. Thank you both for replyng.

Thank you, I'm going to ask to speak to a vet, it was a kennel nurse who we spoke to and she didn't have a clue don't see why they should put it off when she was clearly no better at 8 when we rang. Got to ring in twenty minutes after change over. I just have a bad feeling about it all and she was so bright and her usual binkying self last night and this morning, it has really knocked me for six. Thank you both for replyng.

Yes, they go down so quickly don't they, which is always the worry with rabbits.
Can't offer any advice, I'm afraid, but hope the vet you speak to gives you some answers re X-rays.

They should be able to do a conscious x-ray hopefully. Fluids are a must, even if it is a blockage. Mine were put on IV fluids for statis. Once a blockage is rule out then the meds that the others have mentioned previously should be given.

Sending her lots of vibes for a full recovery x

My rabbit recently stopped eating and x-ray showed an empty caecum (sp?). The vet told me it was lack of fibre which I feel is highly unlikely. I am convinced he had eaten something that did not agree with him in the garden. Just wondering if your rabbit could have eaten something that has upset him?

My rabbit picked up after a couple of days during which we syringe fed him in addition to all the usual stuff like gut stimulant etc.

Good luck with your rabbit.

i found my rabbit like this a couple of weeks ago , shivering and lethargic when we got him to the vet they said they could count his heartbeats which is unusual for rabbits as they are normally beat so fast, so he was pretty sick

they kept him in and gave him metacam and a gut stimulant a few hours later he had eaten some dandelions and was starting to pick up we collected him later that evening, took him back the next day for a check up he was better but they gave another injection to stimulate his gut just in case and hes been fine ever since

i expect the vet doesnt want to stress her more than necessary it could make things worse...hope shes ok...

Get them to check her blood sugar levels which should be about 5.5 anything higher than 10 is serious and showing signs of a blockage, definitely should be on pain relief and Metroclopmaride and Zantac and fluids.

Good Luck hope she will be ok.

Have to disagree with some of this :oops:

Whilst a Blood Glucose reading can be useful as part of a diagnostic criteria, it can never be used as a 'stand alone' as far as gut stasis goes

The Blood Glucose levels in Rabbits can be effected by general stress-eg travelling to the Vet

The criteria used by Frances Harcourt-Brown (a very Rabbit Savvy Vet) are:

Blood Glucose 4-8 is Normal

Blood Glucose 8-14 is raised but possibly due to stress, but monitor closely

Blood Glucose 15 raised-repeat in 1 hour

Blood Glucose 15-20 Definitely needs treatment

Blood Glucose 20+- Probable surgical emergency

In the first instance fluids and pain relief are essential. You may obtain better feed back if you speak directly with the Vet treating your Rabbit.

Abdominal Xrays are possible in a conscious Rabbit if the Rabbit is not extremely stressed. Getting a good view could be tricky.

It is possible for an experienced Vet to 99.9% rule out a full obstruction from an abdominal examination, it may be that the actual Vet treating your Rabbit is competent and feels that after a full and comprehensive examination medical treatment for 12-24 hours is the most appropriate thing to do.

Treatment would include fluid therapy, pain relief, prokinetics (Metoclopramide, Ranitidine, or Cisapride) along with some exercise and abdominal massage. Gripe Water or Simethicone (Infacol) can be useful with dispersing gas that can build up during gut stasis. If the problem is located in the bowels then adding an osmotic laxative-Lactulose- can help. It does NOT coat ingesta with oil, but encourages it to absorb water making it softer and thus easier to break down and pass. It can also mop up some toxins which the liver may be struggling to deal with during a challenging time.

I hope that you receive some good news about your Rabbit this morning

Excellent advice from Jane and this is also how my bunny was treated "It is possible for an experienced Vet to 99.9% rule out a full obstruction from an abdominal examination, it may be that the actual Vet treating your Rabbit is competent and feels that after a full and comprehensive examination medical treatment for 12-24 hours is the most appropriate thing to do."

She did pick up, then went downhill and we had her re-admitted for x-rays which showed nothing but was given fluids and the meds Jane has mentioned. It took us about 2 weeks to get her through it (I believe her condition was brought on by grieving for her partner, therefore eating pattern changed)

Hi all, when we rang last night the vet wasn't there, apparently dealing with an emergency, they've really fobbed us off through the whole thing think they just saw a young couple and were more concerned how we were paying for everything. Rang first thing after my partner made a complaint to the vet nurse so the vet rang back, she's been eating some grass and they've ruled out her teeth which we knew it wasn't, but they were obsessed with it being her teeth and didn't even mention a blockage or any other issue. She's been taking water from a bowl and she's a bit more bright, but still hadn't pood or urinated as far as they could tell, they're going to try and xray her she's next in the line. This vets whole mission statement is how they are different to other vets and spend time with and put the animal first. The vet even said this morning "oh she's very aware she's at a vets" he sounds an absolute fool. I'm afraid I'll completely lose my temper when we go to see her once we know what is happening. I'm making a formal complaint because they should have checked for a blockage last night we were happy for an xray after she didn't pick up and they've been really condescending through the whole thing. Really frustrating feel like I've let her down, and I've got to go to work for a morning shift in a bit going to be a very long three hours.

Thanks everyone I really appreciate all the help.

See it was such a shock as she seemed 100% fine, nothing had changed she came running out of the kitchen in the morning circling me and grunting for her pellets and binkying about and up on the sofas for a fuss, it was a case of 2 hours later she just was completely different and in the cardboard castle flopped down and couldn't get comfortable and in and out of her tray.

See it was such a shock as she seemed 100% fine, nothing had changed she came running out of the kitchen in the morning circling me and grunting for her pellets and binkying about and up on the sofas for a fuss, it was a case of 2 hours later she just was completely different and in the cardboard castle flopped down and couldn't get comfortable and in and out of her tray.

Unfortunately this is a typical case, often they don't show the signs until they are really in pain. You picked up on it quickly and got her to the vet asap. I would definitely make sure she is on fluids and painkiller if they are not very bunny savvy.

ETA - you might want to put a post in rabbit chat asking if anyone can recommend a bunny savvy vet in "XXX" area so you could possibly move her or get her registered for the future.

Sending her lots of recovery vibes x

Have to disagree with some of this :oops:

Whilst a Blood Glucose reading can be useful as part of a diagnostic criteria, it can never be used as a 'stand alone' as far as gut stasis goes

The Blood Glucose levels in Rabbits can be effected by general stress-eg travelling to the Vet

The criteria used by Frances Harcourt-Brown (a very Rabbit Savvy Vet) are:

Blood Glucose 4-8 is Normal

Blood Glucose 8-14 is raised but possibly due to stress, but monitor closely

Blood Glucose 15 raised-repeat in 1 hour

Blood Glucose 15-20 Definitely needs treatment

Blood Glucose 20+- Probable surgical emergency

In the first instance fluids and pain relief are essential. You may obtain better feed back if you speak directly with the Vet treating your Rabbit.

Abdominal Xrays are possible in a conscious Rabbit if the Rabbit is not extremely stressed. Getting a good view could be tricky.

It is possible for an experienced Vet to 99.9% rule out a full obstruction from an abdominal examination, it may be that the actual Vet treating your Rabbit is competent and feels that after a full and comprehensive examination medical treatment for 12-24 hours is the most appropriate thing to do.

Treatment would include fluid therapy, pain relief, prokinetics (Metoclopramide, Ranitidine, or Cisapride) along with some exercise and abdominal massage. Gripe Water or Simethicone (Infacol) can be useful with dispersing gas that can build up during gut stasis. If the problem is located in the bowels then adding an osmotic laxative-Lactulose- can help. It does NOT coat ingesta with oil, but encourages it to absorb water making it softer and thus easier to break down and pass. It can also mop up some toxins which the liver may be struggling to deal with during a challenging time.

I hope that you receive some good news about your Rabbit this morning

Jane I didn't say that the Blood sugar levels should be a stand alone for gut stasis I like others on this thread was just suggesting what she can ask the vet. I didn't have time to go in to all the glucose level readings but we go by anything reading over 10 they need to go to the vet's and we have recently done this with three of our rabbits who all had a full blockage and who the vet said had we been any later with getting them there we may have lost them. So in our experience we take them if the reading is 10. :(

Get them to check her blood sugar levels which should be about 5.5 anything higher than 10 is serious and showing signs of a blockage, definitely should be on pain relief and Metroclopmaride and Zantac and fluids.

Good Luck hope she will be ok.

Sorry, but got to agree with Jane. I know you didn't say it was stand alone and just a guide but 10 is nowhere near serious, it's only slightly outside the normal range (4 - 8 ). 15 even isn't serious it's the point at which you need to start being concerned. I've had a lot of instances of rabbits being admitted with stasis who have a reading of 15+ and the vet has assured me that there are no other indicators that there is a blockage.

You've been very unlucky with the amount of full blockages that you've had to deal with and are obviously extremely good at picking up on the signs and did so when the BG reading was still relatively low so in reality that probably wasn't your true indicator but the other things you were picking up on.

Back