• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

home made "run around"

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone ever made their own run around system? I was talking to my dad about how I liked the run around system but couldn't afford it, then he started talking about going to buy sewage pipes and things :lol:

could you tell me if the actual runaround tubes are smooth on the inside? Mine wouldn't have permenant access anyway as they live in a 15ft aviary so flexability isn't too much of an issue for me. I've been looking at this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Drai...aping_Garden_Materials_ET&hash=item19dad96548 and this http://www.drainageonline.co.uk/Twi...age-Pipe.htm?gclid=CICB0sP6wLcCFcXKtAod2msAjQ

The runaround tubes are have ridges all the way down the inside. It's basically exactly like it appears on the outside. Really easy for them to scuttle down.

The runaround grooves are great fun. We were doing the tube clean the other day and Bramble decided to climb up while we were doing it. Bless him he was so confused when he got to the top.

The land drain is smooth and they can't climb it but my small lionheads can go through it alot quicker than the runaround as its wider. Plus no need to shake it like a mad man to get all the poo's out.

ahh I suppose that's the benefit of the cost then!

Definitely! Plus you can move the run around with the tubes etc attached since it's so secure, whereas with the homemade versions we tried it was very difficult to move. We move the run every other day or so to give N&T fresh grass. It's so secure and so easy.

It's definitely worth the cost, you won't regret it. You have full backup from them - the amount of times I've had to request some new bolts because my stepdad dropped them down the drain or a new door because my stepdad stood on it is insane but they never bat an eyelid. The amount of faffing with the homemade bits is insane, and I was fed up of breaking it and having to cobble something together at 9pm at night in the rain. Absolutely no worries with the runaround setup! Just make sure you have a teeny tiny spanner, like 4-5mm hole.

it's home made or nothing, I'd need more than 30ft of tunnel (about £75) plus a run, plus extras and as it would only be an occasional thing for them to use I can't justify it. If they were still in a hutch and run I'd fork out I think!

I have to say we i got the runaround system and its fab, but a builder friend of mine popped around and asked why i had drainage pipe in my garden :shock:, he said ive just thrown aload of that on the skip at work. He brought me loads of spare pipes and it is exactly the same stuff.

I have to say we i got the runaround system and its fab, but a builder friend of mine popped around and asked why i had drainage pipe in my garden :shock:, he said ive just thrown aload of that on the skip at work. He brought me loads of spare pipes and it is exactly the same stuff.

Does the drainage pipe have holes in or would you have to drill them yourself to let air in etc :?

You need to drill the holes in the pipe. My runaround has more holes but mine only use it to run up and down.

Brownie and Buster prefers the land tube i have as its wider and they can run at a better pace. You can hear them slow down when they hit the runaround part.

Hi, my boys have a long drainage pipe tunnel to get to their moveable run and back. They love it! It looks exactly the same as the runaround ones, probably a bit more substantial. It bends enough for me to move my run around in a huge semi circle around the garden. Its smooth on the inside like the ones you have linked to in your message. The buns have no problem with the smoothness, they bomb through it and shoot out the other end!! However I never have it at a huge incline, pretty much flat. I haven' t got holes drilled in it tho?? Did ask my husband about this the other day and he pointed out that it's just get wet and horrid inside... what do run around say the holes are for?

The other idea that I've stolen from run around or on here is building one of my runs as a permanent structure with the wire floor buried under the turf. Just had to lay some new turf as we didn't do it properly last time but now the grass is going for it!! Means buns hop out their shed, into the permanent run, then out a side flap door into the tunnel and off to the new grass each day in their moveable run. They love it!! :)

Does the drainage pipe have holes in or would you have to drill them yourself to let air in etc :?

if you buy "perforated" then I assume it has holes in, you can get unperforated as well.

Dad is getting far more in to this idea than I had anticipated :lol: today he was measuring up the garden and decided that we could have 2 separate runs so they have more space :lol:

Back