• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

can a bunny catch a human tummy bug????

liv862

Warren Scout
hi everyone, i warn u in advance this story is mildly gross!!! im currently off work with a horrid tummy bug, spent all night waking up to rush to the bathroom and be sick. also spent all morning the same.
i will be fine, but wot worries me is my mummy bun Maisy was freeranging in the bathroom most of the times wen i was sick, and because i was being weird by rushing and not paying her attention she kept getting scared and hiding behind the toilet while i was being sick. im sure the noises didnt help!!!

i currently live alone with my buns so there wasnt anyone i could get to take Maisy out the room or that could clean the area around the toilet properly for me, as i was in no state for anything. in the dark a little bit of sick went on the floor nd i cleaned it with tissue but just couldnt get to the kitchen to get the anti-bac spray. hav since located antibac wipes and hav stuck the pack on top of the toilet, i can get about between episodes im just more likely to throw up the more i move. she was in there with germs potentially on the floor for a couple of hours tho cos i made the mess in the night.

Im just scared that Maisy could get sick cos these things are so contagious, i know only some viruses can be spread interspecies so i assume that without knowing exactly whats making me ill i cant kno for sure if itll make her ill. im just sat here feeling a bit miserable cos im poorly nd worrying about my bunny :(

so does anyone hav any idea if a bunny can catch a human tummy bug? and if not perhaps any pointers as to wot to watch out for if she has become ill?? shes so sweet she must kno sumthings wrong with me cos she keeps following me about and she lies there watching me wen i sit down or go 2 sleep :love:

im probably getting worked up over nothing but i wanted to check on here to be sure.
thanks, liv xxx

No, don't worry. Hope you feel better soon.

Edited to add as I have just seen Jane's post... I'm assuming you have a viral gastroenteritis rather than food poisoning!

Last edited:
thanks everyone i decided to take a leaf out of the bunnies books nd burrow into my bed for a few days!!! :lol:
feeling better now and no signs of any illness in the buns :thumb: i think i was just being paranoid and feeling guilty for being sick in her territory!!!
alls well that ends well, thanks again xxxx

Back