• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help needed - keeping a sick rabbit clean

*Bex*

Mama Doe
Some of you may have seen my other thread but my bun Cleo is battling severe head tilt, most likely EC related.

Since Saturday we have been having an awful problem keeping her clean. Every morning she has needed washing as her bum and back have been covered in her poo. She's either having some diahorrea overnight, passing more or softer cecals or, as she is trying to eat them it's making her roll therefore she ends up with it all over her. It also happened yesterday evening as well as overnight. She is passing plenty of normal poo also.

She HATES being washed and it really upsets her. We clean her fur as much as we can but her fur is now stained and she is getting quite smelly.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is there anything we can use to take away the smell?

Otherwise, in herself she remains bright, alert and lively although she still has to regain her mobility she is now holding her head at a better angle and making very slow but steady progress. Her appetite is great.

Hopefully this time will pass and she will get better.

I know exactly where you are coming from as I have nursed two bunnies with EC. I just tried to get as much poo out as possible and then wipes with a wet cloth rather than a whole wash. Neither bun found it very stressful :)

Thank you, the poo thing has only been going on for near a week, yet she's been poorly a month. Did you just use plain water?
She doesn't mind being dried - we use a hairdryer on low and held away from her but when being washed she gets upset and makes little grunts that she does when stressed out.
If you have chance, and don't mind could you share your EC stories with me?

Back