• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Furby

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
I think Furby may have EC as well as pasteurella. His head has been lopsided for some time but the vet thought this was related to his eye infection. His eye is much better now but his head tilt has got worst.

Furby is still on penicillin and vetergesic injections as well as Baytril twice a day. I also have something to put on his fur once a week for his mites. He did have a day where he wouldn't eat and I syringe fed him, which seemed to kick start his appetite again. Yesterday evening he was a little snuffly so I nebulised him and today his breathing is fine.

Obviously, I will have a chat with my vet but I was wondering if I should start a course of panacur? I really don't want to take Furby to the surgery if I can avoid it - and the vet said this himself - as Furby gets so stressed it takes ages to normalise him when I get him home.

He was snuggled up with Faye earlier so I think I will leave him outside tonight as it isn't cold here. I bought him in last night as it was chilly and wet too. He is much happier outside and becomes agitated when he comes inside, probably largely because he is away from Faye (she would escape from the box I put his litter tray in).

Here is a photo of him nomming broccoli in his litter tray (none of the buns have broccoli very often but it was reduced).

Poor Furby! When Leo was on penicillin, metacam and baytril we also wormed him with lapizol for 28 days as the vet couldn't be sure whether he had EC as well as something else

I would call vet tomorrow and if they give the go ahead order some lapizol or panacur from vetuk (that's where I bought mine far cheaper!!)

Good luck keep us updated and sending vibes for him to get well soon xxx

I have been wondering how Furby was getting on. :love: I'm not on RU as much at the moment, but I do continue to think of him. xxx

Grim's pasteurella has spread from his eyes/nose to his right ear and he has a head tilt too. So it might be that. :(

Pansy is on panacur as well as everything else, my vet thinks her wonkyness is due to an ear infection rather than EC but best to make sure all bases are covered...
Is Furby having ear drops?

Just 'phoned the surgery but the vets are operating. I wanted to check if I could use panacur along with Furby's other meds. I am sure I can get this cheaper on-line. The receptionist will check and call me back.

Furby isn't having ear drops. He was having discharge from his nose, eyes and ears but that has all stopped now.

Maybe I do need to take him to the vet but going there really affects him badly and he stops eating.

How is Furby today? xx

He seems OK, thank you, Susie.

Honeybear from here has just come over to visit her buns who are boarding with me and she kindly brought them all some carrots as a treat. Furby was nomming his quite happily. The vet has agreed I can give Furby panacur - just have to buy some now as I know it will be expensive at the vet

Furby has a ramp in his hutch down to the run. He seems to be managing this OK but I do worry about it as it must be difficult for him with his head as it is. I can't think of any other way for him to access the run though and the hutch and run are both too small on their own for him to be confined to either of those.

I put him out in the back yard yesterday while I was cleaning the outdoor buns and he hopped out into the unmade up road where the cars are parked. For a poorly rabbit he can certainly move!!!

Thank you for asking about him xx

Glad he liked his carrot :D
Lovely to meet him and all your buns.
Really hope he feels better so he's such a darling x

Thank you Susie. Furby still isn't himself at all. I've just got some Panacur from PAH so will see if that helps at all. He isn't eating as much as usual but will nom dandelion leaves and bread. He still hasn't regained all the weight he lost when I was syringe feeding him so I am allowing him a small amount of bread which he loves.

I think I will start spreading his vetergesic out over the day rather than him having 0.49 mls at night. The vet said I could try that when I last took Furby in and I will see if that makes any difference.

Back