• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are carrotys okay for 4 months old bunnies?

Veg and herbs can be introduced slowly at this age.
But too much carrot is bad as it contains too much sugars.
I usually give herbs like dill, thyme, parsley, corriander.
Or baby sweetcorn, brocolli, kale, romain lettuce etc.
Not all at the same time though.

And occasionally a little bit of grated carrot :)
I don't feed readigrass so don't know about that.

Do you mean the naturals range treats? I would be happy feeding one or 2 a week to buns that age but I have seen other carrot shaped treats that I would never feed!

Also I wouldn't mind introducing ready grass at that age but not much and very slowly as itis very rich and they have delicate little tummies! :p

I personally wouldn't introduce commercial treats at all. What they've never had they will never miss!

Yes I mean the naturals carroty treats. I will probably miss them after reading up threads on forum. He gets fenugreek crunchies a couple of times a week and he has a naturals dandelion mix that he tried and was okay with and so far I have tried romaine lettuce and carrot top leaf with him and he has taken to them all well. I do start off slowly and give 3 days to make sure his stomach has agreed with them before he gets anything else and will stick to them for now. I wont be getting romaine lettuce loads or anything and will be careful, just need to find somewhere that sells carrots with the tops now, I got some from Lidl but it was a one off. I like naturals stuff and excel, he has excel food and I am going to be buying herb pack in those too soon. My dwarf hamster stuck to naturals treats, avoided sugar and only had broccoli now and again and he lived almost 3 years (long time for dwarfie.)

I personally wouldn't introduce commercial treats at all. What they've never had they will never miss!

:thumb:
Commercial treats are usually packed full of sugar and other stuff that is actually bad for rabbits.
(Obviously don't mean the dried plantain etc).

Yes I mean the naturals carroty treats. I will probably miss them after reading up threads on forum. He gets fenugreek crunchies a couple of times a week and he has a naturals dandelion mix that he tried and was okay with and so far I have tried romaine lettuce and carrot top leaf with him and he has taken to them all well. I do start off slowly and give 3 days to make sure his stomach has agreed with them before he gets anything else and will stick to them for now. I wont be getting romaine lettuce loads or anything and will be careful, just need to find somewhere that sells carrots with the tops now, I got some from Lidl but it was a one off. I like naturals stuff and excel, he has excel food and I am going to be buying herb pack in those too soon. My dwarf hamster stuck to naturals treats, avoided sugar and only had broccoli now and again and he lived almost 3 years (long time for dwarfie.)

Carrotys are one of the better commercial treats, but fenugreek crunchies are the best. Also, mine prefer home made ones to commercial ones, perhaps you might want to try baking some? http://bakebakebake.livejournal.com/1352167.html is one example! I wouldn't add anything but oats, pellets, hay/grass, and veg/fruit/herbs suitable for bunnies. Some recipes tell you to add honey or milk or god knows what, definitely stick to things bunnies can eat! Home made treats are also much, much cheaper!

I think larger tescos often have carrots with the tops on. Also, definitely try farm shops as they tend to too. Most bunnies go crazy for herbs - coriander and parsley are a particular favourite over here - so you might want to introduce those next? There's no real worries about possibly causing gas like in broccoli and cabbage, so they're often a safe bet to introduce. They are quite high in calcium though, so obviously don't give him a massive handful every day of his life!

I will maybe have a go at baking them, thanks for that link and thanks for the help everyone. I am sorry if I keep posting stupid questions on threads lol I just want to make sure I do right by my little baby. :D

I will definitely stick to plantain and dandelion store bought items but will avoid the sugary ones etc for sure. Ye Dougal loves Fenugreek crunchies loads and I will introduce herbs next and be sure not to fee him too many carrot tops. :D

What are other peoples bunnies favourite treats and veggies? the healthy ones of course I mean too.

Back