• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New hutch

QContrary

Young Bun
Just bought a new hutch, the 6 ft one from happy hutch which everyone gives good reviews :) they chew so much on their hutches, 3rd one in a year!! Hopefully with this being bigger so it may help with the chewing up the place. Anyone got any tips for the chewing? They have loofah toys and willow toys which they throw around and chew, but apparently its not enough.

Try protecting the internal corners, you can get metal angle pieces designed for when you plaster wall corners that are great for this, should be in most diy stores. The other thing is to nail 'chew' strips over their fav edges so you can replace them rather than the hutch ;)

Thanks for the reply, I think I'll end up covering so much to try and not have to keep replacing the hutch. Still waiting for the hutch to arrive so I can paint it and make it safe for them (fly coverings and mesh etc). Is Cuprinol Garden Shades safe for bunnies? As it carries a warning about aquatic environments.. just want to make sure before I go and get some pretty colours

Thanks for the reply, I think I'll end up covering so much to try and not have to keep replacing the hutch. Still waiting for the hutch to arrive so I can paint it and make it safe for them (fly coverings and mesh etc). Is Cuprinol Garden Shades safe for bunnies? As it carries a warning about aquatic environments.. just want to make sure before I go and get some pretty colours

Yes Cuprinol Garden Shades is completely safe ounce dry and so is Wilkos Shades :thumb:

Thanks for the reply. New hutch has arrived (no piccies yet because I want to paint it) the buns went crazy with the space below it. Little worried about fox proofing it as there have been a spate of fox attacks in the area recently and its not wired or anything on the bottom, nor can we dig into the ground to sink wire in. Any ideas on how to fox proof the run section? The hutch is this one, in the 6ft selection. http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/rabbit-hutch-and-run-combinations/70

Would using NIC cubes or bigger holed galvanised mesh as a floor be ok? I have the NIC cubes, and Wickes is only down the road from us..

You don't have to sink the mesh, it's fine to have it resting on top of the soil. The key is to mow your lawn first so it sits flush with the ground and the grass grows up through it :) You can either nail it to the bottom of the run, or get a piece larger than the run so there is a bit of an overhang and then peg it down. If you look in the gardening section you should be able to find L shaped hooks designed for pegging down fleece over plants that do the job well.

Wider mesh is fine, something like 2" ish would work.

Back