• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Might have to rehome rabbits :( any advice?

BunnyMomx2

Young Bun
A some of you know Reggie and Barney have been here a couple of weeks.. and its taken me a few days to pluck the courage to write this post..
but my son comes first.. and it seems he's allergic to them.. at first I just thought it was his asthma flaring up again.. but after noticing him with a couple of rashes and a trip to the doctors it turns out there is a high chance its the rabbits.
I never noticed it with my old girls but then they were outdoors and he rarely made contact with them, but these are in our lounge and he's around them all the time. I have thought and thought again but I have no where in the house they can go and my garden isnt big enough to get a set up outside sorted for them.. so what im asking is what do I do?
Is there anyone local that could take them?
They have not yet had their vaccs (meant to be going on wednesday evening)
I didnt want to put them on a selling site such as gumtree free ads I just want a good home with someone bunny savvy for them.
Im disliking this whole thing but there isnt anything else I can do :|
they come with a dog crate, NIC cube pen and everything else I spoilt them with..

anyways advice is appreciated

he's 3 n a half, I dont think I want him on medication until he may or may not grow out of it become accustomed to it... believe me this isnt a decision taken lightly hence why ive come here first :(

Where did they come from i.e. are they from a rescue that will take them back?

Its a shame you can't do something outside for them...that sounds to be the easiest option, but of course not the cheapest if you have to buy a whole new set up.

What a shame....I hope you can find them a good home.

I bought them from a breeder, I didnt even think of allergies.. I didnt think id have to come to this, its not about money if I could build something in the garden I would but I live in a small terraced house and the garden is tiny.. and on a slope so its not an easy or viable option :|

I bought them from a breeder, I didnt even think of allergies.. I didnt think id have to come to this, its not about money if I could build something in the garden I would but I live in a small terraced house and the garden is tiny.. and on a slope so its not an easy or viable option :|

ahh I can understand not wanting to put him on anything. I'd contact the breeder first off and see if they will take them in, then there is a rehoming section of the forum as well as the rabbitrehome website (which is connected to RU). I had some private foster kittens recently and advertised them on pets4homes, preloved and facebook it felt really wrong but I insisted on doing a home check, having a contract etc and I found the perfect family! I could not have found a better home for them :)

Before rehoming, one thing to check is that it's the actual rabbits and not litter/bedding/hay, which are easily swapped out. You could try replacing any litter/bedding with shredded paper/cardboard, and swapping from hay (which tends to be dusty) to fresh grass or readi grass.

Thanks for all of your advice, the breeder is happy to take them back (she knows them best of course) so they'll be going back tomorrow or over the weekend, is there a selling part on here as I have a huge dog crate and I have 20+ NIC cube panels and connectors that I'll be selling if anyone is interested :(

Thanks for all of your advice, the breeder is happy to take them back (she knows them best of course) so they'll be going back tomorrow or over the weekend, is there a selling part on here as I have a huge dog crate and I have 20+ NIC cube panels and connectors that I'll be selling if anyone is interested :(

Don't you think it is worth taking Tamsin's advice re bedding etc before re-homing? Would be a real shame for them to go back to the breeder if there is a simple solution.

It could very well be the hay. I'm allergic to hay, both when it makes contact with my skin and when I inhale the dust.

Even if it's the rabbits though couldn't he just not touch them as it sounds like he's allergic to them when they make contact with his skin? Or else wear clothes/gloves when petting them.

When I was a child I was very allergic to hay, but after high levels of exposure through my horses and bunnies, gradually the allergy lessened. I still come up in a rash when I soak hay for my horse, and I do get sneezy sometimes but nowhere near as stuffed up and puffy and itchy as when I was little.

I think I would want tests done on my child first to make absolutely certain that the allergy was caused by the actual bunnies. Not least because owning pets can be a very positive and beneficial experience for a child. (even if the pets are really yours)

Also, if it is the rabbits, there is a product called 'petal cleanse' you can use on dogs and cats to reduce allergies in those affected, and it is apparently suitable for rabbits.

http://www.allersafe.co.uk/bio-life-petal-cleanse-c/p12

When I was a child I was very allergic to hay, but after high levels of exposure through my horses and bunnies, gradually the allergy lessened. I still come up in a rash when I soak hay for my horse, and I do get sneezy sometimes but nowhere near as stuffed up and puffy and itchy as when I was little.

Same here! I had very bad hayfever and for some time after getting my 2 house bunnies I had full blown hayfever, sneezing, itchy eyes and nose bleeds but it seems the exposure has cured me! I have hardly any symptoms now, including when hayfever season is upon us! So yet another thing I am grateful to my bunnies for :D

I have horrific hay fever, am allergic to my bunnies and have a constant rash... It's a nightmare and anti histamine s don't work... Has been worse recently...

Oh the joys!!!

Fee x

I think I would want tests done on my child first to make absolutely certain that the allergy was caused by the actual bunnies. Not least because owning pets can be a very positive and beneficial experience for a child. (even if the pets are really yours)

Also, if it is the rabbits, there is a product called 'petal cleanse' you can use on dogs and cats to reduce allergies in those affected, and it is apparently suitable for rabbits.

http://www.allersafe.co.uk/bio-life-petal-cleanse-c/p12

I just wanted to mention that I used a product similar to this one on my bunny and it really did work for my husband.

So, best of luck with the bunnies, it would be a massive shame to rehome them but if you must then I hope you get them to a nice loving home.

About the nic pannels, depending on if it's feasable, live in same country etc, I might be interested, depending on what you would like for them because one of my two is starting to cause too much damage, chewing on everything, so I want to create a pen for them inside instead of free-roaming.

Back