• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For those with buns with pasturella...

If you have a snuffly bun with a partner which is true for you

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

louise and Gus

Wise Old Thumper
I am trying to get an idea how common it is for a symptomatic snuffle bun to infect their partner...

Please excuse the terrible affect/effect error, typing quickly on my phone and can't edit...doh!!

Last edited:
As far as we know, Boo would have had snuffles before he was bonded with Scarlet (they were paired by the RSPCA) he died (from said snuffles) 18 months ago now and Scarlet has never shown any symptoms whatsoever.
I was a bit cautious and we waited a few months before getting her a husbun as I was worried she would develop it and pass it on but she was fine.

Donovan (at the bridge now) had mild snuffles which became steadily worse after a cold spell last year and his partner began to display mild symptoms at the same time. I don't know if they both had it already or if one affected the other or what as they were adopted and very little was known of their history. I do know they were taken to a vets in England and were marked down for pts despite being apparently healthy. So I don't think they had it then. To this day Orla still has mild symptoms but since moving into the house she has been doing a lot better. She gets a very slightly snotty nose about once every couple of months and we have been able to manage that with baytril. She is best on dust free hay, dry, cold or dusty air is what sets her off. Donny needed nebuliser and biosolvin and much more hands on care and monitoring. I don't know if he was the carrier or receiver though, I suppose it could go either way. It affected his immune system though and poor wee thing didn't live for very long after developing an impaction.

Orla has since had a partner (also now at the bridge, she was 11 and suffered a few strokes) but Mona never displayed any symptoms so I would presume it originated with Donny. But in short I think there is a very high risk that a partner can be affected.

Most rabbits (the number is unknown but I've been told it could be as high as 90%) carry pasturella anyway. It is airborne so any rabbit in a multi-rabbit environment will likely have it, as they will catch it from the symptom-less carriers around them. Multi-rabbit environments would include breeders, rescues and pet shops... pretty much all the places rabbits come from. They don't get ill because their immune system keeps it in check. When the immune system is compromised for some reason e.g illness or stress, the bacteria gets a chance to multiply and 'flare up' and we see symptoms commonly known as 'snuffles'. Of course there are also other bacteria that cause 'snuffles' symptoms, but they are less common than pasturella.

None of your options really fit my experience of snuffles....Barney has chronic but mild snuffles. He was bonded with Annabella, who had been definitely exposed to snuffles - her father (who was kept with her mother, so she would have been a carrier) died from snuffles and she had also been kept at the rescue in the same barn/garage as a snuffle-bun. I don't think she was near the bun, but again, it is airborne. Annabella, when going through a very stressful time as the buns' bond was on the rocks, had a small episode of mild snuffles that lasted just over a week. She recovered with only a week of baytril but abx dont usually work that fast with snuffles, so I think her immune system managed it mainly. She has never *touch wood* had a reoccurance and is the healthiest bun I've ever met.

Furby has snuffles but so far Faye is fine. Berry, Cherry and Apple were in the next pen but have now been moved. They are all OK too.

Furby is a dental bun and he has epic moults too. I think he was just under par and that's what triggered the snuffles. My vet said most buns have it lying dormant.

I voted three althpugh...

Mischa had snuffles, Mini didn't get it. Nutmeg had snuffles, Smudge didn't get it. Since they've been in a trio however I have had Mini pick up an infection so it may be that she was fine with Mischa's strain of it but isn't with Nutmeg's. Not sure, it might just've been some random infection.

Back