• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insurance help

marchi1990

Mama Doe
Bunny is now 8 months old and it's time I got him insured. But, am I right in saying that insurance does not cover dental?

Woody has serious dental issues - if Bunny was to encounter similar problems I would like to know if insurance covers dental issues e.g tooth spurs etc.

So, do insurers cover dentals and if yes, who are you insured with and what's the cost?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Routine dental treatment will not be covered by insurance. Anything like havings spurs burred and incisors trimmed will not be covered but more unusual problems like abscesses in a rabbit that doesn't have dental problems should be covered, as would tooth removal if the tooth was damaged accidentally - quite a range of dental treatments could and should be covered (with the right insurer)

I personally would just look at insurance on it's merits generally. You may be lucky enough to get a recommendation for an insurance company that will pay out for dentals if the rabbit didn't have problems at the time of being insured but I think you might get payment for emergency stasis treatment but not the actual dental, at best.

Insurance is well worth it even in a rabbit that requires regular dental treatment. I've paid out £900 for a blockage and £2000 for bladder/kidney problems so would have the insurance regardless. The cost of potential dentals is just something else to factor in to the cost of rabbit ownership.

As for recommendations - I can happily recommend Pet Plan as they have been brilliant. I've also found Pets @ Home good but I know of a few people who have had problems so hesitate to recommend because of that.

It's a while since I did my research, but I don't think any insurers have started covering detals in the last 18 months or so.

What you'll need to be aware of, as your bunny has been ill quite a lot, is that pre-existing conditions are excluded. This may be based on symptoms, not cause alone, so read any small print very carefully. It's always best to get insurance ASAP when you get a new animal (thinking ahead to any future pets you may get) - though there's always the risk that they may get ill in the first 14 days of the policy. Generally illness is not covered for the first 14 days but accidents are.

You may want to consider whether insurance is worthwhile when you'll still have to pay out if several things recur. But you may, like I did, also think 'What if they get some other different illness again, or have an accident and break a leg or something? At least I won't have to pay hundreds to treat that.' Depends how you feel about the risk and if the premium is a significant dent in your budget.

I also found Petplan good to deal with, and they also cover a higher sum per year than most.

Even if you are not covered for a dental, as has already been said, I would still get insurance. Poppy was exluded for quite a few things but I still claimed approx 2.5k in her life time i'd say (and she was only insured when i'd already had her 3 years).

Ive been pleased woth Petplan too!!

Yes quite, I have done a little research and it seems that dentals are only covered if they have occurred through an accident.

My two rabbits: Woody and Bunny I think should both be insured. Despite Woody's ongoing dental problems I think it would be sensible. Bunny should also be covered now I think - best to start early!!!

Exotic direct seem fairly cheap at just over £10.

Yes quite, I have done a little research and it seems that dentals are only covered if they have occurred through an accident.

My two rabbits: Woody and Bunny I think should both be insured. Despite Woody's ongoing dental problems I think it would be sensible. Bunny should also be covered now I think - best to start early!!!

Exotic direct seem fairly cheap at just over £10.

Oooooh, make sure you get 'cover for life' as well. I think some policies will only cover certain conditions that present for a year and then refuse to cover them again.

Sorry to go back to this thread but can I ask who you went with in the end?

I am trying to decide between:

PetPlan,
ExoticDirect and
Helpucover

I can't seem to work out if the ED is cover for life or not. PP and HUC are. They seem to be pretty similar levels of cover and work out PP>ED>HUC in order of quote cost.

My buns are only 1 and 3 and both very healthy so far so I don't know if I should get cheap cover while they're younger and then switch to a life policy before they get excluded just before they're 5.

So many factors - I hate insurance!!

Go with PetPlan. If you have any illness during the policy then you wouldn't be able to switch insurer without it become an excluded condition.

PetPlan,
ExoticDirect and
Helpucover

I can't seem to work out if the ED is cover for life or not. PP and HUC are. They seem to be pretty similar levels of cover and work out PP>ED>HUC in order of quote cost.

My buns are only 1 and 3 and both very healthy so far so I don't know if I should get cheap cover while they're younger and then switch to a life policy before they get excluded just before they're 5.

Barnaby is my youngest rabbit at a little less than 2 years old. I have had no reason for the first 15 months here (from age 6 months) to believe he was anything other than healthy. He has 'something' wrong with his intestines seen on x-ray which has led to a couple of stasis episodes. We don't know what it is yet and vet is reluctant to open him up as she feels its something she wouldn't be able to improve on anyway. It's likely to be expensive but there's absolutely no way I would have predicted this. My advice is same as Stator's - get good life cover from the start. I made the mistake of not insuring Artie from the start and he went on to have bladder problems which cost me about £2,000 from age of 4 to 8.5. He then went on to get kidney stones which cost about £1,500 for two surgeries by then I was on annual insurance from P@H so £1k was paid out but of course he was no longer insured for kidney issues after that policy year. I will now not have a pet without full life cover, it isn't worth the risk, for me.

PetPlan,
ExoticDirect and
Helpucover

I kind of put it off for a while :? Still no decision made.

I kind of put it off for a while :? Still no decision made.

I did that never again though as bunny became really poorly and ended up costing me £1600 :shock::shock: and then couldn't get him insured. I hope it doesn't but the same thing could happen to you. My bunny had a stroke very unexpectedly by the way, and I could have been paying less than £10 per month with Petplan, and only had to pay a £50 excess. Was a vey expensive delay :roll: All 5 of my buns are insured with Petplan now, and apparently they will pay for any dental work needed (obviously not routine) as long as bunny has had a dental check up in the last 12 months.

I'm with helpucover, and just claimed with them, it was really easy, they settled the claim really quickly, no arguements.

Which ever one you choose just make sure you read ALL the small details so you know what's included (for example I didn't realise that helpucover only cover 25% of medical dietary supplements, so for the £12 critical care cost me I had to pay £9 of it still, not that that's much! Although I think I'll stock up online before either them gets poorly again!)

I'm with petplan.

They have covered Barney's dentals when they were done due to a bigger problem - i.e it was done at the time to combat his mystery weight-loss. However they did say on the payout slip: 'Your pet insurance does not cover the cost of trimming teeth. We have included the cost in your claim settlement because the treatment is connected to the diagnosis. Although we have paid this cost on this claim we will not be able to help you for any future claims for trimming your rabbit's teeth.'

And before when a dental was done to combat Barney stopping eating, they paid out for everything except the actual burring of the teeth itself.

Barney is still insured but I took Annabella off the policy this year, as I've never claimed and she is only 2, but they put her excess and monthly premium up stupid amounts.

I did that never again though as bunny became really poorly and ended up costing me £1600 :shock::shock: and then couldn't get him insured. I hope it doesn't but the same thing could happen to you. My bunny had a stroke very unexpectedly by the way, and I could have been paying less than £10 per month with Petplan, and only had to pay a £50 excess. Was a vey expensive delay :roll: All 5 of my buns are insured with Petplan now, and apparently they will pay for any dental work needed (obviously not routine) as long as bunny has had a dental check up in the last 12 months.

Yes I really should get round to it!!

Anyone know the answer ?

Does anyone know if exotic cover tooth burs ? As fluff just finished my truly **** day by refusing to eat took him to the bets and has back tooth spurs ..... As the car died today possibly down to prob seized engine .. Superb... Boiler on the blink off and on and downstairs toiled decided to start leaking whilst away on holiday....... Glass of wine I believe so ! Xx

Does anyone know if exotic cover tooth burs ? As fluff just finished my truly **** day by refusing to eat took him to the bets and has back tooth spurs ..... As the car died today possibly down to prob seized engine .. Superb... Boiler on the blink off and on and downstairs toiled decided to start leaking whilst away on holiday....... Glass of wine I believe so ! Xx

If you already have cover, you need to look in your terms and conditions. If you don't, then they won't cover it anyway as it is now a pre-existing condition.

I went with pet plan for exactly the 'cover for life' issue you said, if couldn't work out if it was life cover either. And decided if it wasn't blatantly clear that it was (like with petplan) I didn't want to take the risk.

If you already have cover, you need to look in your terms and conditions. If you don't, then they won't cover it anyway as it is now a pre-existing condition.

Yes have their cover was just trying to be lazy and not dig out the paperwork :0)

Back