• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hiring out emergency rabbit accommodation. Useful for bonding, recouperation......

Mrs. Bunnykins

Wise Old Thumper
At any one time I usually have to spare ;

One large indoor dog crate.

One medium indoor dog crate.

One medium ferplast.

One small ferplast.

Having read about bunnies/ guinea pigs sometimes needing suitable short term accommodation, after op's, bonding,, I thought that I could rent out the accommodation and I in return would give a percentage to Pledge a Pound.

Good idea, bad idea...any thoughts .....anyone interested.

This is a brilliant idea! Maybe a thread could stickied dedicated to it. I've got a large dog crate people are welcome to borrow, it probably wont ever get used but I don't want to get rid of it just in case

great idea, i was thankfully helped out by my local petshop needing to borrow the large indoor hutch for my babies post op. It wont be for long so it saved me £40 - £50. Its a lovely idea and if i lived more local i would definately make use of this service as needed.

This is a brilliant idea! Maybe a thread could stickied dedicated to it. I've got a large dog crate people are welcome to borrow, it probably wont ever get used but I don't want to get rid of it just in case

You may have been able to help me, had i not managed to borrow one from elsewhere :D

You may have been able to help me, had i not managed to borrow one from elsewhere :D

Aww :lol: Well if you need to borrow it in the future let me know

Also got a very small metal run as well as the dog crate, the run is too small to use as a permanent run but might be useful as a bonding pen. Neither are suitable for very young baby rabbits though, even though they look twice the width of the gaps, they can somehow squeeze through :shock:

Aww :lol: Well if you need to borrow it in the future let me know

Also got a very small metal run as well as the dog crate, the run is too small to use as a permanent run but might be useful as a bonding pen. Neither are suitable for very young baby rabbits though, even though they look twice the width of the gaps, they can somehow squeeze through :shock:

Thanks, will keep your offer in mind.

Perhaps we could start a thread with areas/spare things

Yeah definitely, carriers too could be useful for big rescue situations where they need to get a lot of rabbits out in a short space of time

At any one time I usually have to spare ;

One large indoor dog crate.

One medium indoor dog crate.

One medium ferplast.

One small ferplast.

Having read about bunnies/ guinea pigs sometimes needing suitable short term accommodation, after op's, bonding,, I thought that I could rent out the accommodation and I in return would give a percentage to Pledge a Pound.

Good idea, bad idea...any thoughts .....anyone interested.

I've lent out cages many a time.......sudden fall-outs with previously bonded pairs......illness forcing separation......needing to bring an outdoor pet indoors for some reason.....but I never thought of charging and donating the proceeds to a local rescue! So great idea! :D I might start doing that too!

I have a spare dog crate, puppy pen and carrier I would be happy to lend out too. I would ask for donations to my local RSPCA. :thumb:

Do you fellow RU members think that this would be a good idea for a sticky on RU? I think it would be, everyone would benefit in one way or another.

If so I'll contact Tamsin and hopefully she will wave her magic wand and make it happen.

I think it's a fantastic idea. :thumb:I've got a big dog cage that is most of the time doing nothing, if it could be lent out and raise money for rescues that would be fantastic:D

Tbh, I'd be really wary. How could you guarantee that the accommodation was 100% free from anything harmful to buns?

You can disinfect it, but you need to steam clean to kill ec. How could you only ensure vacs buns were kept in it? A boarding place can refuse to take a bun without a vacs certificate - are you doing the same with the cages?

I see I'm the only negative though, so I'll shut up:oops::lol:

Tbh, I'd be really wary. How could you guarantee that the accommodation was 100% free from anything harmful to buns?

You can disinfect it, but you need to steam clean to kill ec. How could you only ensure vacs buns were kept in it? A boarding place can refuse to take a bun without a vacs certificate - are you doing the same with the cages?

I see I'm the only negative though, so I'll shut up:oops::lol:

I guess that's down to the person wanting to lend the accommodation and how worried they are about that kind of thing. I don't think vaccination is really the problem though more EC spores although I imagine it'd be much easier to disinfect metal or plastic things than wooden and I imagine they'd do the cleaning themselves rather than expect the people who own the accommodation to do it themselves everytime someone borrows off of them

Back