• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

barely eating still even after dental

sunnibunny

Alpha Buck
my little leah has gone to the vet today, she has had pain relief injection and a gut stimulant injection. She hasnt been eating, giving small poos and stomach pressing. :( been given fibreplex, zantac and recovery food but she wont eat take the medication not even on herbs, treats, or anything! :( sigh. not sure what else to do. dont really like the idea of forcing it her through a syringe as she still has enough energy to run away from me. please send vibes.

update 30/5/2013: thank you all for your vibes. well im now force syringing her the stuff. im certainly get better at it. but unfortunately she has not improved. :( she had diarrhea this morning. went to vets today, they stopped the medication as she is obviously passing it through. so now is on fibreplex only and syringe feeding her recovery food which is like pellet satchet with water. got another vet appt tomorrow moorning if she hasnt improved still. :( she is so unwell she doesnt run away from me like she usually does but still manages to kick a fuss when i syringe feed her. please send vibes, im so worried and deflated of what i can do since she doesnt eat anything.

by the way, how much water can rabbits be force syringed, as i am having that science recovery thing and it is wont get taken in out of the syringe as its too thick! so how much can i further dilute it with water? is there a limit of how much water a rabbit can have? as cucumber and iceberg lettuce have a high watercontent and makes diarohea. please help.

update 15/06/13 well leah had a dental on thursday as she had spurs and thought this could be the reason for her small poos and her lack of appetite. unfortuantely 2 days (today) on she is still hardly eating anything except for dry oats. she has all sorts including different types of hay, forage of all sorts (black berry, black currant, plantain, sticky weed, dandelion, dog rose, broccoli, mint, clover, grass several types). yet she still isnt eating very much, she acts like she is still subdued coming round from the GA. she used to bounce back straight away after GA dental, but not this time. is she in pain still possibly? as vets didnt give me any med to take home even when i asked if she needent any and they said no. she is still pooping and weeing but her poos are still small. :( she is also 4 years old, so is her age starting to take its toll after a dental GA nowadays? she also has a weepy eye, this was present when i first got her 3 years ago as she is a rescue bun. at the time the x-rays show the root was not too bad to cause her big pain for her weepy eye, but now after all these years, im thinking it could be this instead perhaps? i just wish she could be better. :(

Last edited:
Sending tons of vibes for Leah, forcing the medicine will really help, I know it's distressing. :( good luck x

Have you tried Oxbow recovery food. The fine blend is much finer and easier to syringe and often they will take it from a bowl or off a spoon.

I tend to mix mine with a dash of boiling so it is luke warm and they seem to prefer it this way. Try it with different consistencies too.

I also tend to put a dash of boiling in their plain water too as they seem to like it more, I also use a bowl.

Hope you got on OK at the vets today.

Last edited:
update 15/06/13 well leah had a dental on thursday as she had spurs and thought this could be the reason for her small poos and her lack of appetite. unfortuantely 2 days (today) on she is still hardly eating anything except for dry oats. she has all sorts including different types of hay, forage of all sorts (black berry, black currant, plantain, sticky weed, dandelion, dog rose, broccoli, mint, clover, grass several types). yet she still isnt eating very much, she acts like she is still subdued coming round from the GA. she used to bounce back straight away after GA dental, but not this time. is she in pain still possibly? as vets didnt give me any med to take home even when i asked if she needent any and they said no. she is still pooping and weeing but her poos are still small. she is also 4 years old, so is her age starting to take its toll after a dental GA nowadays? she also has a weepy eye, this was present when i first got her 3 years ago as she is a rescue bun. at the time the x-rays show the root was not too bad to cause her big pain for her weepy eye, but now after all these years, im thinking it could be this instead perhaps? i just wish she could be better

Could you ring the vet up and mention she still won't eat much, and ask about picking up some metacam?

I suspect she is experiencing pain. If her tooth root elongation has progressed then that would be extremely uncomfortable. I would contact your Vet ASAP and say that you want her to have some pain relief. Personally I would not take 'no' for an answer.

thank you for your replies. she was seen by the vet this morning. been given loxicom pain relief and baytril if there is any inflammation for her tooth root. have to see vets in 24 hours so got another appointment tomorrow morning if she is not any better after being 24hrs on these meds. they will also dig out her previous x-ray too for tomorrow.

just a question though, i have been feeling horrible for leahs pain and illness, and so didnt really want to give her medication via her mouth directly. so i put it on her food instead (oats), and although she ate most of it, you can tell she found the medication part and stopped eating it, but i know she will eventually eat the rest of her oats with meds in. i know i should have done it directly into the mouth (hindsight, sigh), so im wondering, do medications lose their efficacy once dried up into the oats?? plus, if she doesnt eat the last remaining bit, can i give another dosage of both meds and not have too much harm for her? currently prescribed 0.15ml baytril twice a day (12 hrs between) and loxicom once a day. thanks in advance. so glad to have RU to ask questions. :)

Back