• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Training

fizabella

Alpha Buck
How do you litter train a rabbit?
I've tried putting her litter tray in the corner where she pees and poops the most but I'm still finding poops everywhere BUT in the litter tray :lol:

Any advice?

I've got two very big litter trays (underbed storage boxes) that are filled with hay and they always wee in them and poop there 90% of the time.
There are still poops all over their pen as well but hardly ever anywhere else in the flat.

When I first got my buns I made a mistake of cleaning their litter tray too well and they started weeing around it. It helped when I moved some of the newspaper they had weed on into the litter tray and didn't sterilise the litter tray for a while, just cleaned it. Think they needed to be able to smell their wee in it.

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone can help me. I've tried both of your ideas, so far she has 1 litter tray that I bought and I've also made her two cardboard ones, which seem to be fine when she uses them (they're temporary), they're filled to the brim with hay and I've put them in the corners where she goes the most, she still seems to be going everywhere :(

I don't mind the poops much because they're easy to just hoover up - it's the peeing! She's gone twice on my bed today so I've had to change my sheets twice over and she also pee'd on my brother earlier on :lol: I know it will take time but I just don't know what to do to make sure she uses the litter trays instead of my bed and my brother! :lol:

Any help please? :oops:

How old is she? Can she get on and off the bed of her own accord?

I ask because when we first got Pooka she would pee wherever if she couldn't get down. It was only as she started getting more mobile and a bit older that she stopped weeing in silly places/ all over the place.

How old is she? Can she get on and off the bed of her own accord?

I ask because when we first got Pooka she would pee wherever if she couldn't get down. It was only as she started getting more mobile and a bit older that she stopped weeing in silly places/ all over the place.

She's 9 weeks old and I have a stool which she uses to get up and down from the bed if that helps?

Could be laziness at her age... again Pooka generally peed in the easiest place at any given time when we first got her (got her at 8 weeks). Then at some point she decided she actually liked the litter tray and started using it. I know it's not much help, but I honestly have no idea what made her change her mind about where to go. I actually think she suddenly just decided to be clean, because when she knows she'll be running about with my two boys she seems to hold it in, then runs over to their litter trays and uses those....

Rabbits sometimes like to wee on soft things, the way I combatted that was buy a waterproof mattress cover to go over the duvet and put blankets on that.

As long as you keep adding fresh hay throughout the day and enforcing it by sweeping up poos and putting them in the litter tray then she should eventually get it. Mine got it straight away but while she's young and unspayed it might carry on being a job until she is spayed.

She's 9 weeks old and I have a stool which she uses to get up and down from the bed if that helps?

When two of mine were babies they always pee'd on the bed and it was suggested that they were trying to cover my scent... I penned them off from the bed just in case. They always wee in their litter tray now, but cant get to the bed or sofa.

When two of mine were babies they always pee'd on the bed and it was suggested that they were trying to cover my scent... I penned them off from the bed just in case. They always wee in their litter tray now, but cant get to the bed or sofa.

Well this sucks :( She's slowly learning to get onto the bed without the stool (she can jump so high now!) and I have nothing to keep her away from it :lol:

My two bunnies are very well litter trained but they would always pee on my bed, I dont know if they wanted to mark territory or what, the only solution I found was blocking their access to the bed...

Back