• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to stop Mr B biting?

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Mr B has bitten both my and hubby today. He will be free ranging in the lounge, will come over to us sat on the sofa and nudge our feet. If you don't acknowledge him then he has started to bite and it really hurts!

The problem is he doesn't want attention or nose rubs- he wants food! I don't want to reward him for being naughty and I also don't really want him eating anymore as he is already a dustbin!

Any ideas how to stop the biting?

Perhaps when Mr.B has nipped you, say NO in a firm , but not loud voice and then try to ignore him or take him away back to his accommodation. I've known of many nipping bunnies, skin has never been broken, but it still hurts.

Some bunnies learn better behaviour........some don't.

Best of luck.:thumb:

Humphrey does this sometimes.. Food or when I've told him he can't do something! Not so it hurts much though. He was once sat on my knee at my desk and tried to jump on the table, but I stopped him, so he decided to nip my leg in annoyance! Cutest thing was though when I told him no, he shouldn't do that, he looked at me for a second, then starting licking where he nipped me. :love:

mine used to nip too - he's a frenchie & it REALLY hurts!! He's drawn blood on both me & my fella! I sought advice from my local rescue (and on here) & finally it's stopped! Basically you can't reward the behaviour but you have to work out what method works best.... for some it's time out for others it's walking away, some will respond to a sharp no or a clap etc. etc. When I was feeding mine he used to first of all nip once the food was all gone so I got in the habit of saying 'all gone' once he'd done & he stopped. He then progressed to nipping us as soon as we went to see him but the lady at my rescue said because he was a stray he possibly never knew where his next meal was coming from & perhaps couldn't wait? we resolved it by giving him something as soon as he came over which allowed us time to get to his pen to give him his 'meal' & he's much better now. If he's done it for any other reason I've shut him in his playhouse for 5 mins after a loud 'no' & stamping my foot to show him I'm displeased.

the main thing is we persevered & it worked! :)

hope this helps...!!

I've known of many nipping bunnies, skin has never been broken, but it still hurts.
i have scars from where tabby rabbit has bitten me! she breaks the skin, alright. i'm not talking a nip - i'm talking teeth right in and hanging on. she's older and doesn't bother now, but she used to be quite dangerous (i know, she's a mini lop. how daft do i feel saying that...). to dissuade her, i put her in a confined space (they had big cages in those days, with open doors. i just closed the door) and put a cloth over half the cage. she knew she was in trouble.

she was such a biter that i thought of having her pts - i certainly couldn't have passed her on to anyone else. she's seven now, by the way. she hasn't bitten me for years - but she might...

Back