• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Change around eye.

marchi1990

Mama Doe
For the past couple of days I have noticed that Woody's skin/fur around his eyes appears different.

For the past week I have been using a nebuliser-chamber with him because he is sneezing (only about twice a day) - the medicine is F10 Disinfectant (prescribed by vet).

He has had a long course of Baytril (which has now stopped) because my vet suspected snuffles - but my vet does not believe his sneezes are now to do with snuffles - potentially an allergy? His heart and lungs are fine.

He is a dental bun - spears which need treatment every month. Last dental = 1 May.

Anyway, the fur around his eyes has become very dark and slightly swollen. It is not wet - but I do not know if he is managing to wipe away the wet before I see it.

Fully vaccinated and neutered.

Here is a pic - I don't know if you can see the dark ring around eye? There is also a slight bit of crusty discharge which I am cleaning numerous times a day.

A84CDB64-BA1E-4134-A34D-78DA75966797-1995-0000036606D0356B_zps144e6002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
His eye does look pretty swollen, perhaps a bit of hair or dust got in and is making it irratated.
Parsley recently had eye drops due to a runny inflames eye.
When you open the top lid and look at the white bit does it look red or have any dots on his third eyelid?
It could also be a tooth root blocking his tear duct, as he is a dental bunny.
Id pop to vets and get them to check him out. They can gone you eye drops to help him poor boy xxx

His eye does look pretty swollen, perhaps a bit of hair or dust got in and is making it irratated.
Parsley recently had eye drops due to a runny inflames eye.
When you open the top lid and look at the white bit does it look red or have any dots on his third eyelid?
It could also be a tooth root blocking his tear duct, as he is a dental bunny.
Id pop to vets and get them to check him out. They can gone you eye drops to help him poor boy xxx

It is both of his eyes which leads me to think that it isn't from something in the eye.

I think he will need an appt - I hate having to take him because he doesn't cope well with the stress of going!!

Could be linked to teeth or something respiratory. xx

I think he definitely needs to be seen by a Vet again. I would be concerned about tooth root elongation being an issue. Has he had skull radiographs taken to assess his tooth roots ? This can cause both 'snuffles' like symptoms and various eye problems including infections and retrobulbar abscesses (abscesses behind the eye)

I think he definitely needs to be seen by a Vet again. I would be concerned about tooth root elongation being an issue. Has he had skull radiographs taken to assess his tooth roots ? This can cause both 'snuffles' like symptoms and various eye problems including infections and retrobulbar abscesses (abscesses behind the eye)

He had a head CT about 2 months ago and there were not any problems - could it have come up that fast?

I will book him an appt for he vets I think.

He had a head CT about 2 months ago and there were not any problems - could it have come up that fast?

I will book him an appt for he vets I think.

Ah, I remember you said now

Even if it is not tooth root related there is clearly some infection going on so your Vet is likely to prescribe more treatment for him xx

Back