• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental Bunny Advice please

kerina

Warren Scout
Hi Guys

I've not posted on here for god knows how long. I suppose that is good because i've not needed any help....until now.

I took the buns on Saturday for their vacs and nail trims. The vet was very thorough and checked everything. He says that Thumper needs to have a general anaesthetic and a tooth filing as his teeth at the back have spurs on them. They are not causing any sore spots as yet, but he says we are best to get it done now before they cause him problems.

The problem is, I don't know how old Thumper is. I've had him for around 5 years now and he came from a rescue who didn't know how old he was when I adopted him. I'm terrified that the anesthetic will be too much for him. The vet is not worried as his general health is good in all other areas. And I do want to get it done, but i'm so scared that he will die. That said, I really don't want him to be in pain with his teeth either.

Can anyone help? What are the dangers of the anaesthetic? Could he die? And how well do rabbits recover from anesthetic?

Sorry for the million questions, but i've never had a rabbit that has needed this doing. I guess i'm hoping for some reassurance before making the appointment.

Thanks in advance

Kerina

Oh yes, and he's not neutered. Again, as I didn't know how old he was when I got him, I never got it done (and the rescue didn't get it done either - pah!). Hindsight being a wonderful thing, I wish i'd had him done now as soon as I got him, as he was obviously much younger than i realised.

Obviously with any ga there is a risk but the risk decreases when you have a vet confident in anaesthetising rabbits.
Your vet does sound pretty confident, but maybe to put your mind at ease ask them their success rate?
My vet has less than 1% rate of anything going wrong under ga.
And that's with 10yrs of treating rabbits :)
I'm sure hell be fine but i do understand the worry xxxxx

Of course there is a risk with any GA, but we have had hundreds if dentals done on our rabbits and never lost a single one under anaesthetic. That includes rabbits 10 years plus having very regular dentals.

Your vet sounds confident about the procedure :)

Good luck

I had a rescue bun with snuffles who had to have dentals every couple of months up to the age of 10ish and also had an op to remove a very large abscess right at the end. I think if you have a savvy vet it makes all the difference. There will always be risks but it sounds like your vet is sensible - if Thumper lost weight due to the spurs and became generally more unwell the GA becomes more risky (at least that is what my vet told me).

Sending lots of good luck vibes x

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your posts! That's really made me feel a whole lot braver about it all. I'm going away next week for a couple of weeks, but will book him in for when I get back, at the end of June. I don't want to take him in before I go away as I won't be here to look after him afterwards. He is going to my local Bunnery whilst I am on my holiday and don't think it is fair on them to have to take him when he's just had a GA. That is my job as his mummy!

Is there anything I need to know/do to aid his recovery after the GA? Should I expect that the vet won't send him home until he is eating and drinking again after the op? If the vet tries to send him home before he's eating/drinking, should I demand that he stays in?

I just want to know what I should be expecting from my vet with regard to his recovery.

Sorry to ask a million questions, but i love him to bits and want to do the very best for him that I can.

Thanks again in advance

Kerina

Back