• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do your rabbits look how their breed is "supposed" to look?

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
I really don't care how my rabbits look at all as long as they're healthy, but I was just wondering how common it is to have bunnies that don't look how their breed is "supposed" to look, especially with lops.

I took Cupcake on from someone who originally bought her at P@H, and she was told she was a dwarf lop. To me she seems much more like a mini lop when you look at her face, but she's over 2kg so I think she's some form of cross. Pud is supposed to be a purebred mini lop but is leaner with a much longer, thinner face like a dwarf lop, so not sure what happened with him! :lol:

Nahla is a lionhead and looks like all the other lions I've ever seen (although I'm biased and think she's the most gorgeous lionhead there ever was ;))

Bella is a dwarf lop and you can tell by looking at her body and shape of her head, however her ears are all over the place :lol: Sometimes they're both uppy, sometimes one is down, and sometimes she just looks like an airplane bless her :love:

Bella is a dwarf lop and you can tell by looking at her body and shape of her head, however her ears are all over the place :lol: Sometimes they're both uppy, sometimes one is down, and sometimes she just looks like an airplane bless her :love:

Haha awww :love:

It hadn't really ocurred to me before, but I make youtube videos and someone commented that Pud really doesn't look like a mini lop. He did when he was a baby but not so much any more, bless him.

Thor and Loki look like dwarf lops.

Poppy is I believe a lion mini lop, took me ages to work that out as I assumed lion lop and we were worried about her as she was so small... that is one of the reasons I fostered in the first place! Then one day I really looked at her and her little rounded face and realised that she is just mini! :lol:

My first rabbit looked like a dwarf lop but had crazy helicopter ears :love: he had perfect control over them they were wonderful :love: dad used to call him semifore (sp?) and if one ear was up and the other down if you pushed the up one down the down one would rise up like the other end of a see saw! :p that's not a dwarf lop trait! :lol:

My two little ones are supposedly nethie cross rex and I can kind of see that. They look like a slightly shorter faced, shorter eared version of a rex without the rex coat.

Eli is supposed to be a french lop but I think he'd crossed somewhere as he's quite small for his breed. I think he does meet all the breed requirements though.

Bobo was sold to us as a Lionhead...well - he probably does have lionhead in him but god only knows what else - Gruffalo maybe? He has the fluffiness of a lion head but his fur is thicker. His ears are biggish - and sometimes flop and sometimes are upright. And he is way heavier than a proper lionhead - at over 3kgs he is a bit of a lump. We don't care - we think he is gorgeous and that is all that matters:love:

Harley is definitly a lionhead - and the other 2 are lops of some sort but as I don't know what they are meant to be I don't know if they look like what they are supposed to be:roll:

Islay looks like a typical 'LionLop', Jura is a mix between Dwarf and French, I suppose she does look a bit like one. Arran definitely looks like a standard Nethie, he came from a show breeder originally (so his last owner told me) and Ailsa's a Lionlop of sorts, but she doesn't look anything like Islay.

Mae looked like a nethie, but bigger she had the squishy face :love: Sebastian looks a little like a nethie, he's a nethie cross. Imogen is just fluffy :lol: now I've trimmed her face she looks more like a lionhead in photos it was hard to tell but her body/face fur changed texture when it reached her mane :love:

Harry looked like a dwarf lop, his face was so flat it was as straight as a ruler. Sadly he died from dental problems and had a eye problem that was inbred where his eyelid hadn't formed in the correct way. He had constant eye infections and got a tooth abscess on that side of his face that didn't respond well to treatment. So you could say his beautiful, perfect lop looks weren't an advantage to him. The only thing that wasn't quite perfect was his face markings didn't touch on one side and he was missing an elbow spot.

Ludo's markings aren't perfect and he has a healthier face shape, but he also resembles his breed quite nicely.

Ginger doesn't :lol:

Officially, she's a 'lionlop'. But she does not have a showing lionhead gene, her brother shows it ALL, but I don't have him :)

Poppets Mini rex and despite being very show typey she has a headtilt a wonky ear and is actually smaller than 'type'

Brienne is French x Conti and looked all conti when we got her now looking more frenchy with a conti face :lol:

Oliver is pedigree from winning lines and is just right for 'show type'

Rasta is ginormous and hairy but shes a mongrel showing lion genes.

And pixie Rastas brother is small mixed breed with lionhead gene present.

As bad as it sounds I dont even know what breed Poppy is. Shes big, 3.4kg and I was told she looked like a Conti cross but I'm not too worried as long as she's healthy:love:

Nice to see we all have a mismatch of bunnies, hehe.

Hesperus I would say that Harry's face looks much more like a mini lop than a dwarf's! He was gorgeous :love:

matthew is perfect mini lop. tabitha his sister has a 'bad' marking and a pointed nose. but she's a pretty girl and she's mine, so i don't care. so there. charles is another perfect mini lop, white with grey seal point, and cecile is possibly the most perfect mini lop of all - blue? not black, but not far from it. they are all beautiful.

Alice couldnt be any more nethie.
But Bear is a mismatch of things with some lionhead in there I think.
I dont know what they were sold as, I didnt buy either of them, but then I dont mind what they are either as their both gorgeous to me!!

Bobo was sold to us as a Lionhead...well - he probably does have lionhead in him but god only knows what else - Gruffalo maybe?

I have never seen him before. He is ADORABLE. I could just smoosh him! :love:

Oidhche-Velvet was the perfect example of a Standard Rex. All my other bunnies have been mixes of goodness knows what! :lol:

Nope.

Maurice is quite small for a frenchie, and Marnie is an EL x something (possibly goat :roll: ) she has the shape of an EL, without the enormous ears.

Blue was frenchie x dwarf.....and tbh, I think Maurice probably is too.

Back