• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help urgently needed u/d hospitalised - He's home

clarebear

Mama Doe
I've had to take Bramble to the vets this evening, we also had to take him last week with the same complaint. He had eaten some of his veggies, and then he looked really uncomfortable and was lying funny.

The vet said he has colic and gave him a pain killing injection and has given me Zantac to give to him twice a day.

Last week the pain killer seemed to kick in quite fast, but he is still looking uncomfortable and keeps rolling himself about and lyiny funny.

I'm so worried and don't know what to do. My OH isn't here this week. Should I give him the Zantac now? The vet said at bedtime.

Last edited:
Hiya

Sorry but I don't know what to advise but there are a lot of people here that are really good at giving ideas on what to do with poorly buns.

I'm sure someone will get back to you very shortly.

Hope you little bun picks up very quickly x

The vet gave him an injection, which I presume was Metacam. He gave us Zantac to syringe feed, which I've just tried to do, but I'm not sure he got it.

Just been rubbing his tummy, which is sounding very bubbly. He tolerated it for quite a while. Also tried to tempt him with his favs, but he's not having any of it.

The veg he had eaten was cabbage, broccoli, a very small amount of kale, parsley and a slice of carrot and parsnip.

He just did a bit of a wee, but it looked painful. No eating oor pooping since 6.30pm.

To be honest I think he needs to see a different vet I'm afraid. This sounds like stasis which can be serious.

Did the vet rule out a blockage? In which case did they recommend syringe feeding? A rabbit not eating for that length of time is not good. Also I would have thought a gut stimulant should have been given. I am not 100% sure what Zantac does but I am sure that normall a bun with stasis should be given three medications, not two, I think your bunny needs a vet ASAP.

Is any of the veg he has eaten anything out of the ordinary for him?

Can you get him to have a run around? Sometimes it helps the gas to pass through. Try and keep him hydrated but try not to stress him too much with poking too many syringes in his mouth. Obviously if he has meds you need to get those into him.

Keep plenty of tasty food at hand. Sometimes I've found waving it around there mouth so it annoys them a bit can encourage them to bite at it to get it out their way and when they realise its yummy it can kick start them into eating a little.

Lots of vibes x

The vet gave him an injection, which I presume was Metacam. He gave us Zantac to syringe feed, which I've just tried to do, but I'm not sure he got it.

Just been rubbing his tummy, which is sounding very bubbly. He tolerated it for quite a while. Also tried to tempt him with his favs, but he's not having any of it.

The veg he had eaten was cabbage, broccoli, a very small amount of kale, parsley and a slice of carrot and parsnip.

He just did a bit of a wee, but it looked painful. No eating oor pooping since 6.30pm.

If you think urinating looks painful then he needs to go back for some antibiotics (if you can get a urine sample that could be helpful) the pain from that could well have stopped him eating and send him into stasis poor thing :(

To be honest I think he needs to see a different vet I'm afraid. This sounds like stasis which can be serious.

Did the vet rule out a blockage? In which case did they recommend syringe feeding? A rabbit not eating for that length of time is not good. Also I would have thought a gut stimulant should have been given. I am not 100% sure what Zantac does but I am sure that normall a bun with stasis should be given three medications, not two, I think your bunny needs a vet ASAP.

It has only been 4 hours since he ate, there is no need to panic at the moment. It does sound like it was the veggies that caused his pain, seeing as it started straight after. Zantac is a gut motility drug so that should help. You could also nip to a chemist and get some infacol for babies, 1ml per kg. If he has gas that will help to disperse it. Just keep doing what you're doing, if rubbing his tummy seems to help him, carry on. I hope he feels better soon x

It has only been 4 hours since he ate, there is no need to panic at the moment. It does sound like it was the veggies that caused his pain, seeing as it started straight after. Zantac is a gut motility drug so that should help. You could also nip to a chemist and get some infacol for babies, 1ml per kg. If he has gas that will help to disperse it. Just keep doing what you're doing, if rubbing his tummy seems to help him, carry on. I hope he feels better soon x

Thank you. I do think it was the veg that caused the problem. I just hope he got some of the Zantac. :cry:

Zantac is to protect the stomach against potential damage from NSAID (presumably Metacam). There are times when I've taken a rabbit to the vets very soon after the rabbit stopped eating and they have told me that they are not giving a gut mobility agent as they know it is very recent onset of pain (so given painkiller) but haven't felt the need for the gut mobility drug (rightly or wrongly, I don't know, but it was thought through and explained to me). Following that logic only 2 drugs would be given and not 3.

Last week they gave Bramble 2, Metacam and a gut stimulant.

Have you just been given Zantac to give at home? I can't make any sense of why Zantac but not Metacam if that's the case as to my understanding Zantac is to protect from the possible side-effects of Metacam.

Last week when you took Bramble, did you know that he'd only just stopped eating? I'm wondering if they gave a gut stimulant on that occasion because you didn't know how long it had been/they could feel that he hadn't eaten for a while.

Have you just been given Zantac to give at home? I can't make any sense of why Zantac but not Metacam if that's the case as to my understanding Zantac is to protect from the possible side-effects of Metacam.

Last week when you took Bramble, did you know that he'd only just stopped eating? I'm wondering if they gave a gut stimulant on that occasion because you didn't know how long it had been/they could feel that he hadn't eaten for a while.

They told me that Zantac acts as a gut stimulant?

Last week we left it longer before we took him, but the vet said there was still some movement in his gut.

I thought Zantac was an anti acid which helps with the gas?

That makes perfect sense. It would be ideal given that it's likely that veg caused gas - gas caused pain.

They told me that Zantac acts as a gut stimulant?

Last week we left it longer before we took him, but the vet said there was still some movement in his gut.

Not sure then if it has some properties that help with gut stimulation but the gut stimulant my local vet gives is Metoclopramide and my rabbit vet gives Domperidone.

How's he doing anyway? Is he showing any signs of improvement yet?

Last edited:
That makes perfect sense. It would be ideal given that it's likely that veg caused gas - gas caused pain.

Not sure then if it has some properties that help with gut stimulation but the gut stimulant my local vet gives is Metoclopramide and my rabbit vet gives Domperidone.

How's he doing anyway? Is he showing any signs of improvement yet?

No improvement yet. I think he is fed up with me, so I am going to give him a bit of peace and check him again in a little while and throughout the night. I don't think I will ever give him veg again after this!

Back