• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm going away for two nights, but Patrick needs meds..

BettyLu

Alpha Buck
I'm off to Isle of Mann TT next week, away for two nights. My friend is bunny sitting for me. She's not able to syringe feed, and I wouldn't put her through that trauma! However, Patrick is on 2 different abx and metacam twice a day at the moment, I will be away from Tuesday morning till thurs evening. Anyone got any magic ideas of what I can suggest to my friend to get Patrick to have his meds? So far he won't eat anything with the baytril on. Will it be really bad to skip it for one day?

have you tried lemon balm? Lemon balm sandwich was the only way I could get Truffle to take Baytril...

have you tried lemon balm? Lemon balm sandwich was the only way I could get Truffle to take Baytril...

Ohhh no?! I don't even know what lemon balm is! Will try anything. He doesn't even like Ella's kitchen baby food.

I would hire a pet sitter if you don't think he'll get his meds.

I've always been told that, with the way abx work, missing a dose can encourage the bacteria to become more resistant to the abx...

Have you tried mixing the dose with 10ml of carrot juice and syringing it into him? Have you tried mixing it into Critical Care? Or letting it soak into toast?

eta - B is on meds daily and using the 3 methods above I can get anything liquid into him. I trained him to take juice from a syringe for a treat, so he associates syringes with yumminess. So for example atm I mix his gut stimulants into carrot juice and then he takes it enthusiastically straight from the syringe. He takes his metacam straight as he likes the taste.

Last edited:
Agree with Nessar, failure to continue a course can result in resistance so I wouldn't miss doses. Could you pre-arrange with your vet for your friend to take him in for injections those days? Injections last 24 hours so once a day would be fine. You could also have him admitted whilst you're away.
Your other option is not to go.

I can't ask her to take time off work to go to the vets really, nor can I get a pet sitter as I don't want anyone in my flat as I've been robbed that way so im super paranoid. I have tried nana and all veg, I will try ribena and toast methods over next few days and see what occurs!

Agree with Nessar, failure to continue a course can result in resistance so I wouldn't miss doses. Could you pre-arrange with your vet for your friend to take him in for injections those days? Injections last 24 hours so once a day would be fine. You could also have him admitted whilst you're away.
Your other option is not to go.

helpful :shock:

I can't ask her to take time off work to go to the vets really, nor can I get a pet sitter as I don't want anyone in my flat as I've been robbed that way so im super paranoid. I have tried nana and all veg, I will try ribena and toast methods over next few days and see what occurs!

Some pet sitters are CRB checked, or you could use a well recommended one. Or if you hurry now you might be able to book him into boarding, if they will take him poorly. I wouldn't try Ribena personally... just because I don't like giving my buns artificial stuff or high sugar things. The best thing I find is carrot juice, as it has a strong flavour and it is also a flavour that they recognise. I would also really recommend using Critical Care or Recovery. When you try the toast method, just toast it lightly don't burn it, I read on here that charcoal can reduce the effectiveness of meds.

I won't board him because it'll stress him too much to be moved around just for 2 nights. He's a sensitive soul like that.

Yes I use excel pellets.

Thanks for advice re toast and carrot juice!

Wasn't being mean :wave: it is another option.

Did you try mini shredded wheat and letting them dry out before giving them? Someone else on here does that with panacur.

Not an option really. Not unless there's a total emergency!!
Will find a solution to make him nom the Meds, shredded wheat is a good idea!

Whereabouts do you live? Maybe someone from here could visit and give the meds. I know I did this for Catherine when she went away for a weekend and I feed a guy's cats when he goes away. I do charge (as even my overdraft has an overdraft at the moment!) but it may be worth you finding someone locally who can give meds so you have peace of mind while you are away.

I won't board him because it'll stress him too much to be moved around just for 2 nights. He's a sensitive soul like that.

Yes I use excel pellets.

It may not work (I find the carrot juice and Critical Care are much better at disguising the taste) but it is an easy one to try... If you add a little water to excel adult pellets they will swell up but not lose their shape, what I used to do was put some water on his daily pellets then mix the baytril in. Then you wait 5-10 mins for the pellets to go soft. Barney would take small amounts of baytril like this, but not large amounts. I prefer to syringe him his meds as then I know he is getting the full dose and I'm not leaving a bit stuck on the bowl, but a slightly reduced dose is better than a missed dose.

Yes I use excel pellets.

If you live anywhere quite close to me, I could pop in and administer meds. I've done this for many buns over the years.

Back