• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any experience of phantom pregnancy in neutered female???

Neville

Young Bun
I posted about my female bun becoming aggressive, pulling fur etc.

A friend when I was talking said it sounded like one of her females who was having phantom pregnancies and I have tried to read up a bit and I have read they can pull fur from their mate.

She has been spayed probably a year ago now. She was spayed prior to the vets who rescued her attempting to do her. She could see evidence of the spay.

Just wondering about people experiences and if treatable etc.

I will be booking her in with my vet in the next few days for a check up! Xxx

Sometimes a bit of uterine tissue is left which can still influence hormones. Not sure if they could have a phantom pregnancy though, as I'm pretty sure the body changes during this as it would in pregnancy, or at least it does in humans, and I'm not sure this could happen without a uterus. Phantom pregnancies aren't treatable really... the cure is spaying. [edit: I believe for males that can't be neutered for health reasons you can get a hormone implant, no idea if there is something similar for female buns, or even if it would be applicable to your situation given that she is spayed, but thought I'd mention it.]

Although I think, from what you have said in the other thread, that the behaviour seem territorial and/or the result of a changing bond.

Last edited:
Rabbits can get fake pregnancies which means they do all the things a pregnant bunny would do but they are not actually pregnant. This may result in the female bunny being very protective as she wants to protect the kits when they come out (althought there may not be any) there is no cure for the fake pregnancie but it should wear off after a while x you might find that your bun will start to make a nest in the hutch aswell

Back