• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Youtube !!!

heres an american girl on youtube who got her bunny at the age of 4 weeks and said that breed of bunny it was (lionlop) can leave there mum at the age which i disagreed with.The bunny died at the age of 9 weeks. A day after the bunnys death she and her sister got 2 more bunnys and there 7 week and i messaged them saying they shouldnt of left there mum yet.

Am i right that rabbits cant leave there mum until there 8 weeks

yes, not recommended to leave until at least 8 weeks, preferably 10. having said that i think they can be weaned from 6 weeks?

Yes, you are right. Rabbits are officially 'weaning' at 4-6 weeks, as in they are eating hay and pellets. But they will continue to feed for much longer if given the choice and I've personally seen a 15 week old doe still having milk from mum.

There's no law about it but it is recommended 8 weeks so the baby can have it's milk etc!

There is a law in America that bunnies, puppies and kittens must be at least 8 wks before they're sold. I don't think it's a law in all states though.

I have seen a lot of this mentioned recently, I could never want to let babies leave their mums that early, it really isn't good for them. When I have rehomed my baby bunnies they are 9-10 weeks old. Yes they may 'start' to wean at 4-6 weeks old but all of mine have still fed from their mum still up until 8 weeks, when I then part them from their mum preparing them to move on to their new homes. I have kept others until 11-12 weeks old when I think they are not quite ready to leave their mum/siblings.

Poor poor babies :(

Back