• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We love forage !!!

I must admit I'm addicted to foraging but I don't hear the animals complaining they love it :love:

Today's collection:
a barrow of mixed grass, sticky weed, nettles, dead nettles and a few other bits and a box of hawthorn

null_zps5501e9b1.jpg

The buns enjoying some of their favourites sticky weed and long grass

null_zps4e099edf.jpg

null_zps870a7fb9.jpg

The pigs got some grass

null_zpsfc5c1625.jpg

And Humphrey had a nibble too

null_zps64b1a3e1.jpg

I'm drying most of what I collect as the buns are being gradually introduced to more fresh forage

The long grass is proving a favourite when dried, the buns even stopped eating their pellets and ate the dried grass instead :shock::shock::shock:

null_zps4d80cdc0.jpg

Last edited:
I never even thought of drying long grass but makes perfect sense! I have masses on my plot, might go at it with the shears instead of the strimmer. :thumb:

I never even thought of drying long grass but makes perfect sense! I have masses on my plot, might go at it with the shears instead of the strimmer. :thumb:

It's the easiest thing to dry out of everything, I mix it in with the normal hay and the buns are eating a lot more hay because of it :thumb:

What a brilliant idea. My garden is totally overgrown and the grass is lovely and long. Do you have to cut it with scissors or can you just rip it up? I know you can't feed buns grass cuttings from the mower.

What a brilliant idea. My garden is totally overgrown and the grass is lovely and long. Do you have to cut it with scissors or can you just rip it up? I know you can't feed buns grass cuttings from the mower.

I tend to cut with scissors or even hedge cutters as ripping it up when it's long tends to pull the roots up too.

Hi, sorry a bit of a stupid question but how would you dry it?? Looks like something my two would really go for!

Oooh I really want to try drying grass, I have lots of that in my garden atm! I'm drying brambles, plantain and dandelions atm in a greenhouse, can I do the grass in the same way? :wave:

Hi, sorry a bit of a stupid question but how would you dry it?? Looks like something my two would really go for!

I dry it by putting it in mesh laundry hampers and hanging them on the washing line, you can just use a cardboard box and turn it over regularly.

Back