• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving rabbits

Alvins mummy

Mama Doe
So we move house on Friday.

What's the best course of action for Alvin, Layla and Ruby?

They'll be living free range in the house but as we'll have removal men and furniture deliveries I thought about leaving them in a bedroom so they don't get scared.

I have a Ferplast that's their litter tray, I also have a large pen. My thoughts were to keep them confirmed to the pen for the day/night until they settle to keep their bond intact. Anything else I should be thinking about?

When my indoor buns moved house, they seemed upset the whole time I was moving things out and into the new place (I kept them at the old place till it was all done and it took a few days). They were destructive and weed and did territorial poops for months after.... nightmare. I think it unsettled them - watching their home change drastically. I moved twice like this and though I tried to keep things stress-free and normal for them, they were really destructive, and they get destructive when they are upset.

This time they are going to be outdoor buns so it is more simple - they'll be put in their carrier and then they won't come out again until they are put in the hutch at the other end. I think they should be better this time as they won't really see any of the moving. They were much better the last time I moved because they went outside, and I think it was because they were away from the actual moving and also from the stress of moving.

So I'd advise to keep them away from the actual moving as you are planning, and to do their room (or at least the main furniture parts of it) in the new house first and then put them in the cage and pen. That's just my personal view on it though.

When my indoor buns moved house, they seemed upset the whole time I was moving things out and into the new place (I kept them at the old place till it was all done and it took a few days). They were destructive and weed and did territorial poops for months after.... nightmare. I think it unsettled them - watching their home change drastically. I moved twice like this and though I tried to keep things stress-free and normal for them, they were really destructive, and they get destructive when they are upset.

This time they are going to be outdoor buns so it is more simple - they'll be put in their carrier and then they won't come out again until they are put in the hutch at the other end. I think they should be better this time as they won't really see any of the moving. They were much better the last time I moved because they went outside, and I think it was because they were away from the actual moving and also from the stress of moving.

So I'd advise to keep them away from the actual moving as you are planning, and to do their room (or at least the main furniture parts of it) in the new house first and then put them in the cage and pen. That's just my personal view on it though.

That's great. I did think it might be a bit unsettling for them so hearing your experience helps. I hope they'll not be poohing and weeing everywhere for months tho, urghh.

That's great. I did think it might be a bit unsettling for them so hearing your experience helps. I hope they'll not be poohing and weeing everywhere for months tho, urghh.

It wasn't everywhere... well it was for a week or so but after that it was just territorial marking, I think they felt insecure. But yes, I think keeping them in that room will help. Maybe put the buns in the carrier before you empty that room as well.

Back