• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Humping...when does it stop? Bonding neutered bunnies

Lilja

New Kit
My first post to the forum so please be gentle.
I aquired a pair of bunnies, about 3 years old and both neutered. Male and female, male was neutered over a year ago and female longer than that. Old owner said that they have had daily play time together nearly daily for long time and there never has been a fight just humping and fur pulllng. I thought it might be good opportunity to bond them on arrival as it's going to be neutral for both of them. They now been together week and a one day. Male keeps humping female all the time now and fur pulling, circling and grunting (it seem to have gotten worse from the start). They is no fighting, they sleep next to each other, male offers himself to be groomed more than she does. I've seen very minimal grooming. Oh and seen her humping him ones.
Do I keep them together or should I separate? Both eating well but he just seems to be very single track minded at the moment.

Personally I would see it out. They may continue to always hump now and then. Alvin is either humping Layla or she's trying to hump him or Ruby. They're all happy and living together and I'm not concerned. Mine don't grunt at each other tho so maybe keep an eye on that.

It's pretty normal, and as they are in a new environment too, that might make it worse. Are you certain he's neutered? Are there any triggers eg the arrival of food?

As long as there is no fighting, I would try and wait it out. Hopefully over the next week you'll see it decrease.

Personally I would see it out. They may continue to always hump now and then. Alvin is either humping Layla or she's trying to hump him or Ruby. They're all happy and living together and I'm not concerned. Mine don't grunt at each other tho so maybe keep an eye on that.

That was my instinct to leave them to it but it's so non stop now that I'm getting worried that one of them is going to get stressed.
He is the only one grunting. She just ignores or tries to get away.

It's pretty normal, and as they are in a new environment too, that might make it worse. Are you certain he's neutered? Are there any triggers eg the arrival of food?

As long as there is no fighting, I would try and wait it out. Hopefully over the next week you'll see it decrease.

I did call to the vet where they were registered and the receptionist confirmed that he had been done over there.
Her moving triggers it or sounds of her eating, only time when he forgets humping for moment is when food comes but not for long...

That was my instinct to leave them to it but it's so non stop now that I'm getting worried that one of them is going to get stressed.
He is the only one grunting. She just ignores or tries to get away.

I did call to the vet where they were registered and the receptionist confirmed that he had been done over there.
Her moving triggers it or sounds of her eating, only time when he forgets humping for moment is when food comes but not for long...

When we bonded Axl and Rose about 4 weeks ago he humped her for what seemed like forever.....he's now finally stopped doing it.....we found the best thing to do was to ride it out but ensure Rose had lots of places to run away to and hide, and they just seemed to work it out

You could try cutting out pellets and just feeding hay, won't do any harm for a week or so if they are happy to eat hay. As hay is less exciting they tend not to be excited by it and it also means they have to spend more time eating ;)

Back