• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many have choked on science select now?

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
It must be quite a few.

We had an episode a couple of weeks ago with Jack where he choked on a normal science select pellet, previously they'd been given the ones for "mature" buns which are a different shape. We threw the new pellets out and bought a bag of the ones they had been used to but this happened about a week after we made the switch.

E-mailed the company to inform them and took Jack to the vet and he seems to be OK now. Jack's a greedy little begger but think I'm right in saying that quite a number of folk here have experienced similar with this brand? :?

There has been quote a few, I think I know of at least 6 but there is more.
Parsley choked on a burgess excel pellet. He's not had pellets since..

Wow that is worrying, I just switched my two from burgess to this as I was not happy that burgess have used animal derivatives and also because it was making Jasmine have a funny tummy.

I never knew it could cause this, I am glad your little Jack is ok, I think I will break the pellets up into smaller bits in future as they are pretty huge.

Thanks for letting me know xx

I specifically chose SS over other good pellets as they are bigger pellets and I can hand feed them, which I always do.

I'd never leave them to it with a bowl unattended due to reports I've heard, just not worth the risk, although I'm not convinced I would know what do to if a rabbit did start choking on them anyway :?

I specifically chose SS over other good pellets as they are bigger pellets and I can hand feed them, which I always do.

I'd never leave them to it with a bowl unattended due to reports I've heard, just not worth the risk, although I'm not convinced I would know what do to if a rabbit did start choking on them anyway :?

there's a sticky in the health section that's helpful.
And a few threads by jacks Jane that if I hadn't read before it happened parsley would be dead

I lost my little bun choking on a ss pellet, poor lassie, but never had any problems before or with the other buns so maybe she just ate her pellets too quickly, :(

Oh my goodness, I had no idea ....... I will go and read the sticky's now and start breaking the pellets up into smaller pieces!

I wanted to switch from Burgess to SS and didn't do it because of Scarlet. She has a lot of back teeth missing and I just didn't think she'd cope with the big SS pellets.

Never had a rabbit choke on ss pellets and all ours have them. But the other week we did have a rabbit choke on water! was drinking to fast, choked and went floppy :shock: Thankfully he is fine, but it just goes to show that potentially they can choke on anything just like people :(

We were lucky in that someone always watches them eating, I wasn't there at the time but mum says that Jack just suddenly started gasping and started leaping and running about.

How many average rabbit owners sit and watch their pets eat though. :?

Never had any problems with SS pellets and the buns we have prefer them over smaller ones.

I suspect as the buns here get fresh long cut herbage; advantage of having a huge garden out the back; bail hay and swathes cut from birch, willow and apple trees they are used to having to work their way down a long piece of food.

I would imagine it could cause some problems for buns used to smaller pellets though. I have always switched our rescue buns over to SS by handfeeding them the SS pellets so they could get used to the different shape.

Never had any problems with SS pellets and the buns we have prefer them over smaller ones.

I suspect as the buns here get fresh long cut herbage; advantage of having a huge garden out the back; bail hay and swathes cut from birch, willow and apple trees they are used to having to work their way down a long piece of food.

Ours get really long grass to eat as well in summer along with high quality farm timothy hay, I think the problem possibly arose with Jack trying to eat too fast.

My Mr Bubble choked on an ss pellet. Thankfully he recovered. It took some time though. He's back on Rabbit Royale and hasn't had any problems.

Rosie did. I'd broken them up into smaller pieces to make them easier to eat which in hindsight probably wasn't a good idea as she ate them quicker.

I can tell when Pierre is having issues as he manages to spit one out but then runs around the pen shaking his head licking his lips. Its happened about 4 times. That's too many for me to risk.

Never had a rabbit choke on ss pellets and all ours have them. But the other week we did have a rabbit choke on water! was drinking to fast, choked and went floppy :shock: Thankfully he is fine, but it just goes to show that potentially they can choke on anything just like people :(

Absolutely this! Personally I think the issue about it being SS is disproportionate - the original thread had people saying their buns had choked on ss, burgess, A&P, hay, etc etc. Yes there were probably more who stated their buns had choked on SS, but then this being a forum where SS has been heavily recommended, in my opinion the higher number is more than likely due to the fact that more here feed it rather than it being inherently more dangerous.

But there are others who disagree and I guess each of us has to make the best judgement about what, on balance of all the potential risks and benefits, is best to give our animals, and that will doubtless vary between individuals :)

Back