• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It's time for the snip...

CazandCo

Alpha Buck
So tomorrow it's the time for my baby boys to get snipped, I'm just interested to hear what you found were the best things to do to comfort them and help keep the wounds nice and clean. Just want to make sure it's gone smoothly for them.

Ta

My male rabbit was already neutered but with my female, I had a heat pad thing for her, and fresh herbs to tempt her to eat which might be worth a try to make him nice and comfy and maybe some of his fave veggies.

Hopefully someone who has had a male bunny can give you some better suggestions :)

I just took my boy to get the snip today so this thread would really help me too. I'm so nervous! :? x

i had a heatpad for mine and brought him inside and kept him in a dog crate to restrict movement. i used carefresh as bedding as its soft and wouldnt irritate the wound, but i think other people use fleece blankets which would work too. i kept the hay raised in a rack so it didnt get in the wound and offered him lots of herbs and wet veg to make sure he got moisture and started eating :) the most important thing is to make sure you get pain relief!! mufasa was a foster at the time he was neutered and was not sent home with pain relief, i had to go to my own vet the next day to get some as he chewed his wound open :( if you struggle with syringing pain relief mixing it with ella's kitchen baby food or hiding it between 2 herb leaves works really well :thumb:

Thank you for your comments, so I'm best getting their favourite munchies and keeping the flooring soft and clean of hay/straw. Would you say I would be ok keeping them in the carry box once home to let them recover? Or would that be too small a space? They should be going outside otherwise?

Stephen lives inside and was a single bunny when he went in, all I did was make sure I had some herbs (basil is a favourite here) to tempt him and I kept him in his cage for the first few hours until I was sure he'd pooed and weed then I left him to it! He didn't need any take home pain relief as he had a dose before he left the vets, and most boys will be Ok without any to take home with them.

Stephen did sulk for several days afterwards, he made himself a little nest under the stairs and only came out to wee and poop so I just checked on him, put his food etc in his nest with him and made sure it was comfy (put a blanket etc in there for him) and after 2 days he was fine and hopped out and gave me a cuddle and a kiss. I was really upset that he hid away but he was cross and upset and a bit groggy still and I knew he was eating and drinking so I just left him to it.

Would you say I would be ok keeping them in the carry box once home to let them recover? Or would that be too small a space? They should be going outside otherwise?

Neither of those is ideal really - they definitely need to be indoors the night after the op (at least) as the anaesthetic means that they can't regulate their body temperature properly so will get very cold if they are outdoors overnight straight away, especially as it's still so cold at night. But on the other hand, keeping them in a carrier overnight isn't suitable either, it won't be big enough for them to stretch out and relax and get away from their wee and poo, meaning they will be grumpy, uncomfortable and risking wound infection. Can you borrow a puppy crate/pen or run panels etc and create some kind of small temporary enclosure for them? Or can they go in a small room like the bathroom/kitchen overnight, either the whole room or a bit barricaded off for them. They need to be somewhere that is indoors, warm and quiet, but big enough for them to have a litter area which they can comfortably get away from.

Aside from the advice you've already been given (pain relief, favourite foods etc) I tend to find that they are most comfortable if I simply leave them alone somewhere quiet and not too bright, and keep an eye from a distance rather than fussing over them. It depends on the individual bunny of course, but mostly I find that they just want to recover and rest quietly for a while.

Good luck for your little ones xx

:wave::wave: My new bun Jasper is being neutered tomorrow too! It's with a completely different vet though so I am a little bit nervous.

When Nibbles was neutered he was very very quiet for a few days. He was also very cold. I put a blanket around him and kept him in the living room which is the warmer part of the house. Plenty of his favourite noms to tempt him to eat too. I also had his water in a bowl nearby as he didn't seem to want to move very much.

Can you borrow a puppy crate/pen or run panels etc and create some kind of small temporary enclosure for them? Or can they go in a small room like the bathroom/kitchen overnight, either the whole room or a bit barricaded off for them.

Well my boys are home and are very alert and sniffy... I've had them eating their favourite veggies, spinach cabbage and baby sweet corn as well as readi grass.

They didn't give me any pain relief but have told me to go back tomorrow for more to be given. Will be watching very closely....:D

I have borrowed an indoor hutch to put them in in the living room. Will place a towel over it to give them some darkness to recover in

Random question but connected to this theme, they have been eating well since 4.30pm and no poops yet.... heading to bed now so am hoping to find poops in the morning. When is it right to expect some poops?

Back