• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help writing a letter re: improving rabbit accomodation

Furry-Holic

Alpha Buck
I visited a garden centre recently and they had 2 rabbits living there (not for sale) in a medium hutch with attached run - not a large run, no toys apart from one tunnel, sawdust as bedding and a dusting of straw on top the sawdust but no hay!! I want to write to them suggesting ideas on how they could improve their living conditions and am sure I saw a template on here or the RWAF does anyone know where it is? I've tried to search but am not having much luck. I want to be polite and come across as trying to help as it is a lovely garden centre and I can see that the rabbits are looked after, clean water, clean hutch etc but I think it could be better. Do you think it's the right thing to write to them or does it sound like I'm just picking holes? Wish I'd taken a photo to show you but I didn't think at the time, doh! xx

I visited a garden centre recently and they had 2 rabbits living there (not for sale) in a medium hutch with attached run - not a large run, no toys apart from one tunnel, sawdust as bedding and a dusting of straw on top the sawdust but no hay!! I want to write to them suggesting ideas on how they could improve their living conditions and am sure I saw a template on here or the RWAF does anyone know where it is? I've tried to search but am not having much luck. I want to be polite and come across as trying to help as it is a lovely garden centre and I can see that the rabbits are looked after, clean water, clean hutch etc but I think it could be better. Do you think it's the right thing to write to them or does it sound like I'm just picking holes? Wish I'd taken a photo to show you but I didn't think at the time, doh! xx

I don't know how to help but you're definitely not just picking holes! Not only are they setting a bad example to all the people that see them like that, they're not going to be happy healthy rabbits. Good luck.

I don't know how to help but you're definitely not just picking holes! Not only are they setting a bad example to all the people that see them like that, they're not going to be happy healthy rabbits. Good luck.

Exactly, I was just so surprised they didn't even have hay to eat it's just so important for their health. x

There's a template here; it's geared more towards pet shops but it might give you some ideas as a starting point. It's definitely worth making suggestions as to how they can improve (politely, as you've already said) & perhaps start off by praising what they're already doing right too.

There's a template here; it's geared more towards pet shops but it might give you some ideas as a starting point. It's definitely worth making suggestions as to how they can improve (politely, as you've already said) & perhaps start off by praising what they're already doing right too.

:thumb: Thank you. This will definitely help me. x

Why don't you join 'Action For Rabbits' it is a group run by people who genuinly care about rabbit welfare and are not out to make money from rabbits, this is the facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/groups/531025196919897/

It is a relatively new group and has acheived so much in a few shorts months especially regarding accomodation in pet shops, there is also a website www.actionforrabbits.co.uk

Really worth joining if you want to help

Thanks for this, have looked at both fb page and website, looks fab and definitely something I would like to be involved in. I couldn't see anywhere about joining though? Did you mean join the fb page or is there an actual membership scheme? xx

Thanks for this, have looked at both fb page and website, looks fab and definitely something I would like to be involved in. I couldn't see anywhere about joining though? Did you mean join the fb page or is there an actual membership scheme? xx

I just looked at this too. Excellent. I 'joined group' on the facebook page.

You can join the facebook group, there isn't a membership scheme as such, just join the group, it's very informative and there are brilliant campains happening with more coming up

Back