• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Parents and Bunnies

FuzzyBunyons

Young Bun
Sorry 'bout this. I was acting like a right spoilt brat and I apologize. I was feeling very frustrated and stressed at the time.

I understand a parents house is a parents house and rules I must adhere to. I never cut across that line.

Its just annoys me when people (whether they be a parent, child, teen or grandparent) when they don't listen and don't want to improve or make anything better.

Sometimes parents can be amazing people and give support to their child. Sometimes they can be a pain as they don't want to listen because they don't want to learn.

Parents get on children wicks but children most defiantly get on parents wicks.
Its a vicious circle. I'm sure many parents have vented to other people about their annoying children.

Last edited:
Haha. Its the other way round in our family!!! My son (16) thinks I am totally 'wappers' to spend so much money on the rabbits. To be fair he has helped with completing their aivery and hutches (never will I have hutches again. Sheds are SO much easier). But he also thinks mine live like kings... I agree with you. They need so much space. It the wild... they go for miles. They have lovely cosy burrows and lots of company. We have a duty of care. How can people tell if rabbits are happy in just a hutch... Hope your parents see how happy your lucky rabbits are in their big run/playhouse and realise how right you are :D

My parents are the same. They like the rabbits and think they're cute, but won't let me get a big set up. One of our dogs broke my run the other week and my parents seem to be under the impression that I didn't need it anyway, and haven't even apologised for letting Bramble jump on it. I'm moving house to live with my uni friends in September, needless to say I'm taking the buns with me!

My Mums sort of fine with it. My dads a bit iffy. It's just the space. At the moment my bunnies are stuck right in the middle of the patio so nobody can walk round them. So, in that respect I understand why there a bit miffed off about the amount of room they are taking up. But with the playhouse, I intend to put it out of the way but easily seen and accessible and people will be able to walk normally. So hopefully they will think differently. Its just the fact that they think I'm going to take up ALL the garden. :roll: Parents.

Can't wait to move out however, house bunnies all the way with me!

My mum isn't keen on animals full stop and I did go behind her back getting them. But since I got them I have proved to her that I can look after them. But she does say that they are outside animals.

My dad's the complete opposite, he's rabbit man! The only animal he really likes is bunnies and about half of the children's books I had when I was younger were bunny themed. He had lots when he was younger, in a big run and a modified green house. Mum isn't as into bunnies, but then she's allergic.

i am a parent. i am often shocked and horrified by the disrespectful, arrogant attitudes of young people still living in their parents' homes. it isn't your house, its theirs. they don't have to accept your ideas on how rabbits or any other animals should be kept. you don't have 'rights' there, even when you're working and pay rent.

if you want things done differently, move out, get your own accommodation and live how you like. while you're still being subsidised by 'the bank of mum and dad', show some respect.

on r u, i rarely comment on such topics, as i assume that all the young people are doing is 'letting off steam', and everyone needs to do that. but also, people need a reality check. not your house, not your rules.

i am a parent. i am often shocked and horrified by the disrespectful, arrogant attitudes of young people still living in their parents' homes. it isn't your house, its theirs. they don't have to accept your ideas on how rabbits or any other animals should be kept. you don't have 'rights' there, even when you're working and pay rent.

if you want things done differently, move out, get your own accommodation and live how you like. while you're still being subsidised by 'the bank of mum and dad', show some respect.

on r u, i rarely comment on such topics, as i assume that all the young people are doing is 'letting off steam', and everyone needs to do that. but also, people need a reality check. not your house, not your rules.

I am not usually one to stand up for young people - BUT I think the point here is trying to drum into people - parent or not - that rabbits need a large area to live in and it can get frustrating when people 'don't get it'...it's not so much that the young person feels like they should do what they like - more a case of trying to do what is best of the bunny. Sure - in alot of cases in it is finance that prevents parents from investing in larger runs etc - but in alot of cases it's trying to re-educate parents into what is right for an animal...that can be frustrating when you're relying on your parents and they just 'won't listen'.:thumb:

I'm sorry you're frustrated, but I agree with happybun. As long as you are living with your parents, you need to abide by their rules and expectations.

My Dad loved my bunnies, but there would be no way he'd tolerate another shed in his garden for them. He was happy with the hutches and runs, and didn't mind them free-ranging and digging everything, and he was pretty much their primary carer, but the structure would have been too much. We initially used to bring them in the house for cuddles, but when we lost a phone to bunny chomping, no more of that unless it was the kitchen for health checks. His house. His rules.

It's the same, IMHO with rented accommodation. As much as I would like a pet, I signed a contract that said no pets, and I wouldn't push it!

I'm patient. I'll get my furry family one day, just when I own the roof I'm under!

:wave:

I live with my parents still, (I'm 27), and rely on them, not so much financially but in other ways as I'm disabled. I've got to say I absolutely agree with Happybun.

This is meant as a general comment and not an anyone in particular, but you could look at it the other way round: you shouldn't get the pets in the first place if you know the environment you will provide for them won't be perfect because of your parents or other family members. It's not fair on the animals.

Keeping rabbits in large hutches with attached runs and indoors is a relatively new concept and will to many parents take some getting used to. Starting arguments over it or creating tension because of it will not solve any problems. A quiet, calm conversation may get a lot further.

Teenagers/children shouldn't get pets unless they've researched everything completely, discussed the needs with their parents and agreed that it's ok. My animals have decent sized housing even though I got most of them as a teenager because I talked about what I'd be getting with my mam first.

Too many people get the animal on a whim, give inadequate housing and then expect their parents to allow the animals to take over the house. All research should be done before the animal is brought home and it should be agreed on or the pet shouldn't be added to the family.

Teenagers/children shouldn't get pets unless they've researched everything completely, discussed the needs with their parents and agreed that it's ok. My animals have decent sized housing even though I got most of them as a teenager because I talked about what I'd be getting with my mam first.

Too many people get the animal on a whim, give inadequate housing and then expect their parents to allow the animals to take over the house. All research should be done before the animal is brought home and it should be agreed on or the pet shouldn't be added to the family.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I have moved out and am no longer living off the bank of mum and dad, yet my mum still complains at me and makes snide comments about the rabbits and guinea pigs, and the rescue/charity work I do.

This weekend I went around to help her with some gardening, this is what she had to say about them in one day:

• That their new acommodation is ridiculous and will be an eyesore in the new garden
  • That I should take her old hutch (from which I rescued two neglected bunnies) and use it instead, they were fine in there
  • That I should 'give up' my bunnies as I am struggling to work out a way to dispose of their waste when we move

She also complained that I was spending all of Sunday helping out at a guinea pig rescue, when I should be packing to move (fair enough I suppose, but it was arranged a while ago and I'll just have to spend a couple of evenings packing instead - problem solved)

Believe me, it doesn't stop even when you've left home and are completely financially independant :roll::lol:

It's the other way round in our house... sort of anyway. It's me who is the parent and has the animals and I never get an animal without fully researching it and providing the best possible life I can for it. Our first bunny is my 12 year old son's, which was swiftly followed by a companion and rabbit proofed room to free range in and I have now ordered a large kennel and run so they can have more room and be outside...

It is my husband who despairs and think the rabbits live like kings. He would happily see them in a smallish hutch and run and thinks they are 'only rabbits', but he is used to me and luckily as I am a grown up I get to make my own decisions... :lol:

I have moved out and am no longer living off the bank of mum and dad, yet my mum still complains at me and makes snide comments about the rabbits and guinea pigs, and the rescue/charity work I do.

This weekend I went around to help her with some gardening, this is what she had to say about them in one day:

• That their new acommodation is ridiculous and will be an eyesore in the new garden
  • That I should take her old hutch (from which I rescued two neglected bunnies) and use it instead, they were fine in there
  • That I should 'give up' my bunnies as I am struggling to work out a way to dispose of their waste when we move

She also complained that I was spending all of Sunday helping out at a guinea pig rescue, when I should be packing to move (fair enough I suppose, but it was arranged a while ago and I'll just have to spend a couple of evenings packing instead - problem solved)

Believe me, it doesn't stop even when you've left home and are completely financially independant :roll::lol:

That must be very irritating and demoralising for you. But at least your animals are living as you want them to. That's a different case to what Steph (and me, but so less eloquently)! said above.

It's the other way round in our house... sort of anyway. It's me who is the parent and has the animals and I never get an animal without fully researching it and providing the best possible life I can for it. Our first bunny is my 12 year old son's, which was swiftly followed by a companion and rabbit proofed room to free range in and I have now ordered a large kennel and run so they can have more room and be outside...

It is my husband who despairs and think the rabbits live like kings. He would happily see them in a smallish hutch and run and thinks they are 'only rabbits', but he is used to me and luckily as I am a grown up I get to make my own decisions... :lol:

You could put your husband in a small hutch and see how he likes it, then he might change his mind.:lol: And yes i am evil! :love:

I wish i had done more research on Lola before i got her, but thanks to this place i have learned so much. :thumb:
I think parents have to be firm if they dont want a pet in the house and that has to respected. But if said yes then they have to be fully understanding how much care ans space will be needed!

My parents kinda switch back and forth on it...they had rabbits since before I was born and then we've had rabbits my whole life so the conceptof them isn't new or anything. My mom agrees that rabbits should be indoors (sort of best in this climate) and not outdoors because they're 'dirty' or some silly reason but my dad sometimes says the rabbits should be outdoors. He likes them alright though:) My mom when she's mad at me will say she can't wait till the rabbits are in my room out of the way but then later says she's sad she doesn't see Jack much anymore :? Parents are confusing!

They're the same with my ducks, or worse. I've had to teach them that ducks in the house is not a weird thing at all :lol: But overall they're pretty good about the animals as they're animal people themselves.

I am cutting this down as it was way too long and too much like a rant :lol:

I don't agree with what several other people have said. Just because you live with your parents, doesn't mean you should put up with having animals (yours or theirs) in cruel accommodation.

I DO agree that people who still live with their parents shouldn't get animals if their parents aren't comfortable with having that animal and the accommodation that goes with it... in that case the 'child' is in the wrong and shouldn't have the animal (same as if you had a 'no pets' landlord). Even if you pay rent (as I do) and contribute to the household, if the parents who own/rent the house say no pets- then you shouldn't have pets.

HOWEVER this is not often where animals in family homes come from! Usually there is one of two situations from what I have seen:
1) Parent buys a pet for a child (under 16)
2) Parent talks about pet with adult child, and agrees to it.

In either case this often goes wrong.
In case 1) If a parent buys an animal for their child as a minor, the animals are all in all the parents responsibility. Children should not be responsible for another life. They should be encouraged into responsibility- taught to clean, feed and look after the animal- but if the child fails in that responsibility then the adult is ultimately in charge of the pets and their well-being. I see so many posts on facebook pet sites, preloved etc. that says under it 'we're selling them because my kids got bored'... makes me so mad! :censored:

If a parent buys a pet for a child, that parent should provide welfare standard accommodation and care. If they don't, then someone needs to stand up and tell them. A child telling their parents the hutch is too small isn't rudeness or them being ungrateful- it is one person standing up for the rights of a being that can't protect itself. If an adult isn't willing to shell out for the animals care, then the shouldn't have bought it= parent is in the wrong!

In case 2) Parent allows adult child to get a pet and then doesn't allow proper care. My parents wouldn't let me get a 6' hutch even if I paid for it myself, they said if I could afford a bigger hutch I could afford to pay more rent. My grandparents thought it was far too big for a rabbit, to which I replied 'no such thing as too big'. It is literally a case of outright stubbornness and not wanting to admit that maybe the way animals used to be treated wasn't right. I don't feel guilty for keeping my last pair of rabbits in the old hutch because I had a rabbit care book, talked to pet shops, and did research, and that told us that cage was great- and it was a long lasting one that cost my parents £100 even though at the time (11 years ago) we were broke- but now the information is readily available to say that actually that hutch was too small and wasn't right, people need to change their ideas. And I find it infuriating that parents, friends and family members feel the need to judge you because you want your animals to be happy and secure, even though it doesn't effect them. Obviously, if I wanted to put a shed in the garden that would be one thing- but a larger hutch doesn't take up much more room than a smaller hutch! And yet to the animals it makes all the difference.
It isn't just about parents, it's about people in general having out-dated ideas and not wanting to change their minds despite evidence from every corner.

As a side note- my family and I are ridiculously close, and I love them to bits and think they are very good pet owners. My dad lies down in the garden talking to the rabbits and my mum is more than willing to cover out of hour vet costs for our family pets or moisturise steroid lotion into my sisters old hamster every day. The only disagreement over pet care we have ever had is over the size of a blimmin hutch! Although after I bought a 6' two tier hutch and left it at my grandparents (telling my mum to go get it when she changes her mind), my mum talked to a rescue and finally agreed we did need a bigger hutch! It is a case of parents not thinking their child's opinion is worth as much :roll:
Although I am in charge of the animals (cats and rabbits) on a daily basis, they are still considered family pets, and when I go away my parents take over the care and do a great job (although my dad continually over feeds pellets :roll:). But I am using this as an example of when parents are 'in the wrong' rather than the children. If you buy a pet for a child (like the rabbits were originally bought for my 10 year old sister), you should do the research and provide welfare standard care. And if you agree to allow your adult child to own a pet in your house, you also agree to allow them to provide appropriate accommodation and care. :) If not, then you are deliberately asking for an animal to be treated badly- how is that right regardless of your age?! This isn't a parents vs children thing- this is a RIGHT and WRONG situation.

Last edited:
Oh oh oh! And shout out to my Grandpa, who even though he thought a 6' hutch was too big, planned to help me build one and drove me to four different pet shops to look at hutches 40 minutes away because he knew how much it mattered to me :love: :love: :love: :love:

Last edited:
Back