• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Claw clipping

foxy2279

Alpha Buck
I noticed today when doing the boys health check that Brownie nails have got quite long.

Brownie has a few health issues tummy related and is not as active as he used to be. He was finally discharged as stable from my vets last week :D.

Does anyone have a idots guide to nail clipping? I am scared of hurting him but he's terrified of the vets due to going there so much so feel it would less stressfull to him to do it myself.

If your rabbit is not good at having them done ( like mine!) I would recommend having two people, one to hold one to clip and to wrap the rabbit in a towel, and then just get each paw out one at a time. Always do it in as bright a light as you can possibly with a torch as well so you can see the little pink line which is called the quick.If you do clip the nail too short and catch the quick they will jolt and you really want to avoid this if you can as it is not very nice and there will be a little bit of blood, if you do catch it you can dip the nail in flour which will stop the bleeding.I tend to do a little bit each week so that it keeps them down and I don't have to risk taking lots off.

Good luck!

Back