• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding stu and Paul

oldmcdonaldsfarm

Warren Scout
Hi all,

I'm trying to bond stu and Paul.

I have put them in the bath a few time (5 or so). But it's just snorting, grunting, chasing, fur pulling. I really don't think they like each other, they are both too dominant. Paul is doing all the chasing and snorting etc. stu just tried his hardest to get away from him. Pool little soul.

Just wondering what you think I could try next?

Stu doesn't like the process and tries his hardest to find away out the bath.

When do you admit that it just won't work?

I think with boys it's going to have to be done in a small space (4 panel puppy pen for however long) and consistently instead of a dating method, it doesn't sound like the bath is doing any good.

Here they are:-

941937_10200718182950388_1298048404_n.jpg

Look at their faces :love:

That's what I meant :) and consistent, so keep them together all the time during the bonding.

I would cover the floor in hay so they have something to do and munch on too :)

Look at their faces :love:

That's what I meant :) and consistent, so keep them together all the time during the bonding.

I would cover the floor in hay so they have something to do and munch on too :)

Am i being a dumbo....??? keep them together 24/7? What about when i'm at work or asleep?
surely i have to split them up?

I have to split them up...they cant stand anymore than 10mins together.

Yeah I mean keep them together all the time but if your working I wouldn't try and bond them yet. As for sleeping, most people sleep next to their bonding rabbits to break up squabbles :lol:

You really need to be able to have a few days+ to monitor them. If you're having to separate them every 10 minutes then that will send them back to square one and they won't be able to work out who's boss, what kind of 'fighting' is it? Chasing, nipping, fur pulling is normal but full on fights need separating.

Yeah I mean keep them together all the time but if your working I wouldn't try and bond them yet. As for sleeping, most people sleep next to their bonding rabbits to break up squabbles :lol:

You really need to be able to have a few days+ to monitor them. If you're having to separate them every 10 minutes then that will send them back to square one and they won't be able to work out who's boss, what kind of 'fighting' is it? Chasing, nipping, fur pulling is normal but full on fights need separating.

Yes, this :wave:

Is there any actual fighting/biting? Or just humping and fur pulling? If it's just the latter then that's fine, just let them carry on :wave:

No litter tray, just hay otherwise one could become territorial over it. I mean people will sleep next to their rabbits wherever they are, I slept in Leo's room which was rather uncomfortable but you really need to be there with them to keep an eye on them. If you can't then I would pause the bonding until ou have time off or something.

Could you send them to a rescue for them to start off the bonding? They will usually do it for a donation.

You could try put them both in a pet carrier (e.g. cat carrier) and go for a drive around for a while. Maybe best to have someone in the car with you to keep eye on them.

The idea is they take comfort from each other while in the unpleasant/worrying environment for them. I've done this with our two boys, but that was for vet visit anyway - it doesn't seem to have done any harm for them and probably helped their bond a bit I guess...

Put small bowl of pellet/food in there too along with hay.

As you need to work and sleep, I think putting them together for short times while youre home to supervise is fine... thats what ive done with many, many pairs and its worked out fine.
Each time they go together try giving them a bit longer, you will know when theyre comfy in enough with each other to leave them.
You could try the ride in the car as some on here do that, but its not something I would ever do... Scaring them doesnt do for me.... but each to their own.
Are they living side by side?

Hi all,

some further advice please.

I'm sending the two lads on a lads holiday so that they can bond (ie. Fat Fluffs).
I'm hoping the bond will be successful, but upon their return are they likely to start fighting.
what do i need to do to prepare?

They are off on Sunday and return Wednesday.
Thanks

We're taking Leo back to fatfluffs on Monday to meet a new bunny who is also a boy!

I'll tell you what my POA is -

- get home after taking Leo and blitz his room and toys with vinagar/water solution.

- wash all blankets etc

- get the puppy pen outside and scrub it/disinfect it.

- set up the puppy pen 1x1x1x1 panel.

- wait for their return, upon that return I will have 2 water bowls and just hay on the floor of the pen.

- will then gauge when and where to extend but I wouldn't mind leaving them in that for a week!

Hi all,

some further advice please.

I'm sending the two lads on a lads holiday so that they can bond (ie. Fat Fluffs).
I'm hoping the bond will be successful, but upon their return are they likely to start fighting.
what do i need to do to prepare?

They are off on Sunday and return Wednesday.
Thanks

I was just going to suggest this- sounds like a brilliant plan and a lot less stressful for you!

Hope it goes well!

Back