• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick Q- this isn't an emergency, right? Gut probs

nessar

Warren Veteran
Barney may or may not be tummy pressing. He has long-term gut problems (gas and slow, inflamed gut) but has never been in stasis or had any emergency illness, the only symptom of his seems to be losing weight and sometimes slow-gut poos.

If Barney is tummy-pressing and has a firm but not hard full-feeling tummy, has had a 20kg dog dose of metacam and 2ml of metaclopramide (these are his daily meds anyway atm), and is eating fine, then that is not an emergency, right? I don't think it is, but can't sleep till I know I'm not going to wake up to a dead bunny.

I've posted asking for pics of tummy-pressing in the health section anyways, as I'm not sure if that was actually what he was doing, but the vet did say when I saw her on Friday that his slow gut could cause pain.

I've only ever seen Mini tummy pressing and when I saw it I recognised it instantly. You could really see her pushing her hips and tummy downwards to try and get some relief. Do you have any infacol? Maybe give him a ml of that in case it's gas.

Ah see he only did it for a few seconds at a time... but it certainly was a deliberate action and something he's never done before.

I don't have any infacol, unfortunately. If it is his tummy it is probably gas, as that is one of his main problems. The gut stimulants are not only to speed up his gut a bit, but also to help push the gas out daily.

I hope he's okay, he was eating with great appetite, which I took as meaning he was feeling okay in general. He was scoffing his food and nearly took my hand off when I syringe fed him carrot juice mixed with his metaclopramide. He was properly gulping the carrot juice down but I was syringing it fairly slowly... perhaps he swallowed some air in the process?

Mini at the time wasn't eating so maybe he's just got a little bit of gas in there but not enough to make him feel properly uncomfortable. Unlikely but you don't have any dill I suppose? That's supposed to be good for gas but difficult to get.

Mini at the time wasn't eating so maybe he's just got a little bit of gas in there but not enough to make him feel properly uncomfortable. Unlikely but you don't have any dill I suppose? That's supposed to be good for gas but difficult to get.

Hopefully it's just a bit of wind, yes.... No I dont. But he won't eat dill anyway, he turns his nose up at it! :roll: Thank you for the suggestions though.

I must talk to my vet about infacol or something similar to give him if I feel he has wind.

:wave: Just to add I'm sure you'll remember my bridge bun Thumper & his slow gut issues.
I don't remember him tummy pressing at all. What he did, was abdominal cradling. When lying down, he'd bring up his back feet so his tummy was very slightly eased off the ground but he wasn't hunched.
I had to be very careful to avoid hock sores when he was like this.

Also we found domperidone a lovely gut stimulant. It's effective throughout the whole length of the gut. Thumper much preferred it to the combination of metaclop & zantac& it was much more effective for his caecum. (the dose volume is small too.:)
Just given Benjie a short course of it for his slow down with the fox issues.:oops: He took it no probs too!! & instant result on lowest starting dose.

Hopefully it's just a bit of wind, yes.... No I dont. But he won't eat dill anyway, he turns his nose up at it! :roll: Thank you for the suggestions though.

I must talk to my vet about infacol or something similar to give him if I feel he has wind.

You can get infacol from a pharmacy, it's for babies and is pretty harmless. My vet recommended giving a little if Smudge goes into stasis.

Back