• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anyone have tummy pressing pics?

nessar

Warren Veteran
Tonight when Barney was having his dinner and meds he sort of stretched out a bit and pushed his tummy to the floor, but he wasn't lying down. He then continued to eat, but did the tummy thing every minute or so for a couple of seconds, and didn't sit properly when eating - normally he sits or stands with his back feet close to his front, but tonight he was sort of elongating himself. He was eating fine so I let him finish his dinner - I felt his tummy but he doesn't like people touching it, I presume because people are always trying to feel it and its a bit sore. It felt full. He jumped away from me when I went to pick him up to put him back in the run, maybe touching his tummy hurt him?

Does anyone have any pics of tummy pressing so I can see if that was what he was doing?

And any advice?

Background info: Barney has gut problems but usually the only visible symptom of this is that he loses weight and has problems keeping weight on. He had xrays, ultrasounds and bloodtests last year and it was determined that he had an inflamed gut with a lot of gas in it and that his gut was sluggish. He recently went downhill rapidly but seemed to be picking up again. He is on metaclopramide 2ml twice a day, that I give him via syringe, diluted in 10-15ml of carrot juice. He also has metacam once a day (20kg dog dose) and a small amount of Protexin Fibreplex and a tablespoon of Profibre pellets.

I'm wondering whether I gave him too much too quickly... he gulped down the carrot juice/metaclop mix and the metacam and then was eating his pellets fine. Once in his run again he ate some hay too...

I don't know weather he's sorted already but here's some pictures of Alice doing it.

null_zps9a2025bc.jpg

null_zps111238f9.jpg

null_zps447eb7dc.jpg

We ended up taking her to the emergency vets anyway as she stopped eating but she's fine now, they put it down to too much veggies, she had only just been bonded with Bear and I think she was trying to keep up with what he was eating and she's tiny :lol:

heres a gd one of my Dusty at about 8 weeks old, was about this time i realised hes one to keep an eye on as he has a habit of eating stupid things like fabric and causing himself lots of belly ache!!!!

Oh, see that just looks like flopping to me :? I'm not sure if I'd even notice if he did that.

He seems fine this morning but it is useful to see these things so I can keep a look out for the future, as he will likely have gut issues for life.

heres a gd one of my Dusty at about 8 weeks old, was about this time i realised hes one to keep an eye on as he has a habit of eating stupid things like fabric and causing himself lots of belly ache!!!!

Is Dusty the non-orange one? Has he got one leg tucked under him?

yes and yes :D sometimes he has one under one out, sometimes both r out. i tell it apart from a normal flop cos he kind of switches from one leg to the other like he cant get comfy, but the belly stays on the floor.

edit: Dusty also doesnt like his belly being touched. i find wen i pick him up he prefers one hand to scoop his front paws nd ribcage and the other on his rump, leaving his belly free. if hes particularly uncomfortable i make him up a warm (not hot!) hot water bottle not too full and with a furry cover so he can press his belly into that and the warmth helps get his gut going. he also likes to groom the fur for some reason, just make sure yours doesnt eat it!!!

Last edited:
When Harvey was poorly last week he tummy pressed, it does look very similar to just laying down. The main thing about it was his inability to get comfy, he'd lay down, press his tummy into the floor, get up and do it again, he'd do this loads of times over and over never laying down properly for too long :(

Oh, see that just looks like flopping to me :? I'm not sure if I'd even notice if he did that.

He seems fine this morning but it is useful to see these things so I can keep a look out for the future, as he will likely have gut issues for life.

With Alice I didn't notice at first but then she was breathing faster, refusing food and you could tell she looked uncomfortable rather than relaxed - so there things you could possibly look for to.

I've only seen my Freckle do this.. I guess a picture doesn't give the full story as IRL you can see the bun is feeling uncomfortable and, as mentioned above, will press and then get up and flop and press again and generally look "not right". Freckle got this after eating a stray guinea pig pellet that I must have dropped when topping up pig bowls. He is too greedy for his own good :roll:

Yes, the only way I can tell when Fred is tummy pressing rather than flopping is that he looks uncomfortable, he stretches out more slowly than usual and often gets up again straight away to try a different position. I can just tell when he's not comfortable but my husband can't see the difference! You know your bunnies so just follow your instincts! Hope Barney's doing ok now.

I know when Jimby does this, I can just see that he is uncomfortable but my husband doesnt see it and thinks he is just lying down.

Back