• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bladder problems?

Jolysium

Mama Doe
Harrison has had a few episodes of leaking urine.

The first time he had a few drops one evening and then the next morning was leaving constant little trickles so he went to the vet, had an injection of metacam and came home with a week of baytril. He had no more symptoms from when we got back from the vet.

He was fine for two weeks and then a week after finishing the antibiotics had some more leakage, so back we went to the vet who gave him a week of metacam. Again he didn't have any more symptoms after we got back from the vet!

It has now been several weeks and he's had a couple of isolated episodes of leaking a bit of urine. I don't really know what to think. Does he just have an overactive bladder / weak sphincter? I don't actually think the medications were doing anything / necessary because he didn't have any symptoms straight away so it was too quick for it to have been them working!

Am I ok to just leave him? Are there any foods that could be causing it? He's been absolutely fine in himself throughout. Any advice appreciated!

Personally I would now want the Vet to re-examine him and possibly run some diagnostics eg testing his urine, U/S of his bladder

Leaking wee is not 'normal' and so it is always beneficial to try to identify a primary cause sooner rather than later

Also, if his fur gets damp from wee he is at risk of both urine scald and flystrike.

Is he drinking more than previously and has he lost any weight ?

Thanks Jane. It's only occasional drops and his fur isn't getting wet at the moment but I'm checking him constantly! He's drinking normally and has gained a bit of weight over the last couple of months. It's so odd that it's only happening intermittently and not very often.

Fifi had quite a bad infection round her lady bits which turned out to be cystitis. Treatment was septrin for 1wk twice daily and metacam took 3wks to totally clear up.

I lost a bunny last year who started with these kind of symptoms and they vet kind of made a diagnosis and prescribed treatment and then when that didn't work tried treatment for something else and the whole thing went on for months. Anyway it could be something as simple as an infection. My rabbits had actually picked up a parasite called cocodisis, which they test for with a sample of fresh droppings. He was the only one who had continence problems, which was down to the parasite attacking his kidney's and liver. All the others only had gradual weight loss. Maybe a broad spectrum antibiotics would be a good precaution.

Ok, given what you've all said I think we're off to the vet!

Advice on what to ask specifically would be useful as would pointers to articles / evidence as my vets do not seem particularly bunny savvy.

So far I'm asking:
- could it be an ongoing / incompletely treated urinary infection
- should we test for coccidiosis / treat with broad spec antibiotics (what antibiotics would that be?)
- does he need further investigations - urine sample / faecal sample / bloods

Back