• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit friendly garden plants?

first78

Young Bun
Not sure where to put this post :?

I'm doing up our back yard and want to get some trailing/climbing plants which flower, a small tree of some sort (5ft) and some bushes. Aiming to brighten up the small space we have and would love some ideas of what I could get that is rabbit friendly.

Our yard is concrete so everything will be in tubs.

[sorry don't know, can't answer. but don't allow self-seeding ash trees, if you can find any way to stop them. they are :evil: to get rid of!]

[sorry don't know, can't answer. but don't allow self-seeding ash trees, if you can find any way to stop them. they are :evil: to get rid of!]

Thankfully we don't have any...we do have a big thick ivy branch though that;s glued itself to a wall...I've cut it right down to a stump but cannot get rid of the damned thing!! :evil:

Soo many choices! Tree wise, whatever you get you'll need to protect the trunk from teeth. Other than that you just need something no poisonous when it drops it's leaves. You could go for dwarf apple if you wanted and that would be completely bunny safe. Or you could go for something evergreen, lots of shrubs are available as 'standards' which is basically a trunk with a pompom on top so great for keeping out of bunny reach. Roses come in that shape too or climbing. For trailing you might like to look at herbs - variegated leaf varieties will give some different colours. Lavender could work. Grape is another climber that's completely bunny safe. Sowing some climbing nasturtium would give you quick colour this year - they are very bright! There are lots of annuals like marigold, pansy that are fine for bunnies and nice and colourful.

For the tree I'd like something like a Japanese Maple...are these okay?

Everthing will be planted in pots so hopefully Autumn won't be able to reach too much...I planted marigolds yesterday that she reached up to sniff...she didn't try and eat them but I'll be keeping a close eye on her!!

I don't think that's okay to eat so you'd need to keep the leaves clear of the floor in autumn, but the rest of the year you could just protect the trunk.

Back