• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i'm no expert but it might take a wee bit of time to settle in... I have had no success with bonding but can understand your frustrations and worry...

Can the rescue not bond for you? If things dont appear to be working, they sometimes offer to do it for you?

all the very best.. I hope things improve

Fee x

It sounds like he's feeling unsettled and it dealing with it by trying to avoid interaction with aggression.

There are a few options, you can take him back and try a different bunny - it's sounds like he's the issue so no reason she wouldn't bond with another bun, find someone else to help - sometimes a bit of experience and completely neutral territory makes a big difference, or persevere keeping in mind it might take a bit of time and there isn't 100% guarantee.

Re the aggression toward you, I would guess it's fear aggression. He's nervous and it's the only way he can communicate give me a little space I'm out of my depth. Try not interacting with him directly for a bit. Don't look directly at him, walk directly toward him or make any move towards touch him. Pretend you don't see him - that's bunny for 'I'm not sure about you but we could be friends at some point'. Try spending time near where he is but doing other things reading/watching TV etc. just so he learn you hanging around isn't going to lead to anything scary. Let him come to you if he wants and if he does have something tasty ready.

You might well find that once he's feeling a little more secure about you and his new home he'll be less inclined to react to your other bunny in an aggressive way.

Aww I'm sorry it isn't going so well :( it does sound a bit scary for him maybe, with the loud music and stuff :? When Molly first arrived here, she was petrified when we put the tv on, but after a few days she was fine with it. He sounds like a nervous bunny though, so maybe he would be better off somewhere quieter :? It's horrible when they aren't settling isn't it :( and if Betty needs a friend, it looks like it would be quite some time before he'll be ready for that :? I hope you can sort something out xxx

Thank you for your help.

Im really starting to wonder if we are the best home for him at the moment. My partner is noisy and plays music inc guitar all the time. He would be a house rabbit. And I think he may have sight issues which is prob why he gets so scared when Betty appears out of nowhere at him!

I tried sitting with him on friday and he kept stamping his feet even though I was on the other side of the room. Although it ight be worth another go.

My main worry though is that he is frightening Betty. We lost Iggy only a month ago and has been so lonely. She keeps sitting my the room he is in :(

I will contact the lady at the rescue when she is available tomorrow. They were lovely when we got Betty.

He is such a beautiful bunny. Bonding was never like this with Iggy and Betty or Perdy. :(

We adopted Freda from the RSPCA a couple of months ago and for the first month she was terrified, lunging and biting whenever you went near her. She also had a big fight with Harrison when we tried to introduce them so I completely understand what you're going through. She's in a room on her own now and is so much more relaxed and happy, she hasn't bitten me for at least a fortnight and absolutely loves noserubs. I think it was just a matter of settling in but I don't know whether she'll ever be friends with either of my other buns. I think the reason she's improving is because she's had some space so it would be tricky if you can't really separate them. Best of luck with whatever you decide, just wanted to let you know that sometimes the aggression settles down!

I'd be inclined to say you either need to send them both in to the rescue for bonding, bring them back as a pair and statr them off with a small area which you gradually increase; or you start him off in a small area until he settles, gradually increase in and very when he is no longer terrified of you attempt a bond. If you attempt a bond you are going to need to do it properly starting with a small neutral area, close supervision. gradually increasing the size of the area. Also whilst they are bonding you will need to neutralise all the areas that were previously occupied by Betty.
Sometimes bonds are easy and bunnies settle into your home environment straight away, sometimes they don't. You need to give him time and patience, and a name.

He sounds either scared or territorial, but not actually aggressive. He isn't approaching Betty and attacking her, just reacting negatively when she gets too close. It also sounds like he is scared of you too. Then when you are bonding him he is dealing with a strange place, strange smells, strange company and both a rabbit and a human that he is scared of... it is a lot to take in. He may also have bad previous experiences that are fuelling his fear. I think you need to take a step back and let him settle before trying any more bonding.

If you think the music is scaring him, then you really need to stop. Most buns would be bothered by loud live guitar music and those that aren't do need to be introduced to it slowly. He needs a quiet, calm place where everything stays the same, for a while whilst he settles.

Animals who need a lot of work from the start aren't right for every household.

Do think you may have already decided to return or swap him?

I think it's a difficult business feeling you "have to" take on a new bunny when you personally aren't ready.

My bunnies never had a problem with loud music (though one of them did have preferences for certain genres and bands!) and the surviving one is fostered in a household where several people play instruments and is fine with it. Some bunnies will just be more sensitive to noise than others like people are.

Last edited:
He is currently in the spare room but our home isnt big enough for them to be separate long term. I got her a friend because she was acting lonely and i thought its what she needed. Not what i wanted.

As for the music, it hasnt been a problem for the last three rabbits. He isnt in the same room nor same area and tbh my partner comes first! He wasnt sat bashing out hard core! I am middle aged! Not some teenager. Having animals is supposed to be a positive experience and with iggy, perdy and now betty it has been.

Betty has not been in the areas which i previous stated. Twice.

And he has approached her and gone to bite as i stated in a previous post. I have lived with animals long enough to recognise aggression.

I joined this forum because i wanted advice about how to care for my rabbits and give them a better life.

Can't your partner turn the music right down or wear headphones? I'm not saying forever, but you said the rabbit was scared of the music, so why continue with it, especially whilst he is still settling in and showing signs of fear? It may be aggression, but from what you have said it sounds to me like fear aggression, especially when coupled with all the other signs.

You don't seem to be willing to work with the bunny, you just want him to fit in with your idea of how he should be.... in which case you need to buy a bunny that fits that idea. Have you considered that perhaps you are dissatisfied with him because you are missing your old bunny, and comparing him to this bunny's memory? He'll never match up, though, as he has his own character, and he can't replace that bun, no bunny will be able to.

Thank you for your help.

Im really starting to wonder if we are the best home for him at the moment. My partner is noisy and plays music inc guitar all the time. He would be a house rabbit. And I think he may have sight issues which is prob why he gets so scared when Betty appears out of nowhere at him!

I tried sitting with him on friday and he kept stamping his feet even though I was on the other side of the room. Although it ight be worth another go.

My main worry though is that he is frightening Betty. We lost Iggy only a month ago and has been so lonely. She keeps sitting my the room he is in :(

I will contact the lady at the rescue when she is available tomorrow. They were lovely when we got Betty.

He is such a beautiful bunny. Bonding was never like this with Iggy and Betty or Perdy. :(

It must be hard seeing him so scared and unsettled. Tamsin seemed to have a few good choices to offer and some ideas for communicating/understanding him. I notice that you think he may have poor eyesight, something that could make settling take a bit longer. Hope the rescue are able to help you and that you find a solution to suit you, your music loving partner, Betty and him :wave:

Back